Old 02-22-2011   #1
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Dry box size for 39'' in inner raft width?

If I get a 38'' dry box for my raft that has a 39'' inner width will that be cutting it to tight, should I go for a 36'' or 37''. I'd like to maximize the bay its fitting in. Thanks in advance.

Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #2
Since we have the same boat I'll chime in. I've had both the frontier play sized boxes and they both worked. The 36" actually has more cubic inches since it's wider. Fit perfect with a bit to spare on both sides. I had a problem with that box and decided to upgrade to the kitchen box when I returned it which is 38" long. That one just touches and rubs some on both sides in my boat. I sit on mine when it's in so it is actually rubbing on the two rear thwart attachments. It's smooth though so other than discoloration of the tube it's not a problem. I personally think it's fine for those boxes to rub as long as you aren't having to really cram them down in there to get them to fit.

The 38" since it's narrower has been a little nicer, even though it's a smaller box, just because I liked regaining that little extra cargo room in the back. I'm running a 4 bay frame though on that 14' boat so every inch counts.

I think the specs say 39" but make sure you actually measure, could easily be an inch either way on your actual boat.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #3
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I agree you should measure it. My boat claims to be 41 inches inside and it is when the thwarts are in it, about 39 when they are not. I use a 38 inch drybox without any problems.
FranBoatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #4
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
It's actually nice to have some stash room on either side of the box. Also, keep in mind a 38-39 inch box may be too wide for one person to carry and may not fit in back of the truck as well. Most of the manufacture specs are bullshit so don't get the box until you can measure things out all rigged up.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote