Old 03-31-2016   #11
Salt Lake City, Utah
The DRE flip bracket is good and the mesh seat is awesome. You will need taller towers though. If you want to stick with NRS for continuity NRS Frame Seat Bar with LoPro's - Closeout at The bar will put you at a similar height to your box so your current towers will work. They've upgraded the seat mount so the old ones are discounted. That's a good looking raft and frame.

richjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Elkhaven, actually it wouldn't be more difficult on a welded frame. Once again this has all been figured out but people refuse to acknowledge it because they want to protest buying stuff that works to be jerks. I remember why I quit posting here, came back 8 months later and still the same issues going on. pro-river-gear mountainbuzz can get all pissed if they want but call and ask someone who knows what they are doing. Scroll down to NRS latch in kit. You can have any accessories you want built to latch in and out of your NRS frame including a lightweight bench or a box at the required height. You just have to buy the correct box from the get go. Hope that helps, I have sat in the tall mesh seats and they are miserable (for me anyway).
Buzz will probably erase this because everyone can mention any other brand but this one for some reason they intentionally stifle , and you wonder why no one shows any of their sweet gear.

Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #13
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
He's already got the box, I believe-

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Attached Images
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #14
Montrose, Colorado
I adjust my bars slightly and replace the dry box with a cooler for day trips. You always need a cooler - even on day trips. Ideally you get a cooler which can rest on the bars, like a Canyon, Yeti or the Big Sky (RIP), but any will work. My Big Sky 80 has the same bar span as my dry box, and sits the same height above the rail, so I can swap out as needed and row from the same height.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #15
Meridian, Idaho
I run a drop bag under a seat on an aluminum bracket for day trips. The plate just pins into the cross bars. For multidays I pull the bag and plate off, put my drybox in that bay, and sit on my paco.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #16
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I have a seat mounted strait to a dry box. No bracket no nothing. I used to switch it out with a seat bar. Now I unload it and run the dry box for the same reasons a lot of others have stated, nice place to store things to and from river. Hell I usaly take a small cooler and set it in the dry box.

Of course I have a tinker toy frame and my box is crappy and I did not consult with PRO before I bought my frame. I wish I new enough that I had to have some one tell me what kind of welded fixed for ever frame would totally satisfy my every need.

Oh wait I do have a welded totally fixed forever frame but it is a play frame for a cat. That is where they have a purpose. Not on a raft that you switch back and forth for multi day and day trips.

Sorry Dr. Andy for hijacking your thread. But I hope my first paragraph helps. The Rest is all BOUND for the RIVER
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #17
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I think many folks lose sight of what rafting rivers should be about. To them It's about drinking too much and sexy powder coated frames and such. Nothing wrong with some of that, but really, do they remember much about the experience? It least when they're getting hammered out of their minds they can measure dry boxes and dicks. And then wake up, rinse and repeat...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #18
Meridian, Idaho
Here are couple pictures of the bracket and seat. There are slots so the seat can be moved forward or back and cutouts along the sides to get the bracket down over the crossbars as low as possible. The holes in the front and rear of the bracket are for pins that fit through the bracket and crossbars which are drilled correspondinly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160331_213813.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	877.9 KB
ID:	11231   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160331_213655.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	970.3 KB
ID:	11232  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160331_213646.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	885.3 KB
ID:	11233  
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #19
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Dry box seating conundrum

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound like there are any really great solutions.

The reason I took the dry box out in the first place was due to an injury to my wife's foot. We were running the Alpine Canyon of the Snake River near Jackson. She was riding on the tube in the stern behind me. We went through a rapid and the floor dropped briefly. She was bracing against the box and her foot slid under and became entrapped between the floor and the box when it returned to normal position. I heard yelling behind me but didn't think anything about it because we were in the middle of a rapid having a great time. Then she started hitting me on the back of the vest and I turned around and saw how much pain she was in and saw her foot was entrapped. I stood up on the floor of the raft and pushed it down and freed up her foot. It was trapped for about 5-10 seconds. Her foot was very painful and swollen. It had been crushed between the aluminum box and the drop stitch floor. She had difficulty walking for several weeks and it continued to cause her pain for about a month and a half. She did not want to get back in the raft until we took the dry box out. AND SO THAT DRY BOX HAD TO GO! FAST! Now it's full of camping gear and as I explained previously, I kind of like it. I did put a drop bag under the buckboard, so I still had storage.

I called the DRE people today and they said I'd have to add 1/2 inch spacers on the front and back of the box as well as change the tab height from 5" below box top to 3". I don't want to screw up my box with the required modifications. If I do get a DRE seat, I'll never use it on top of the box. I'll take it off to use the box. IF, I end up going that way. Maybe, I'll just have another buckboard made. Maybe, I can figure out a way to turn it into a 2nd table. I like that idea.

Maybe I'll get an action packer and sit on the box all the time. I'm just worried about a repeat on my wife or one of my kids. I use the box on multi days. It's not a problem then because the back is full of stuff and no people are behind me.

If anyone has a suggestion, let me know.

Here's how the build is progressing. Attachment 11234

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #20
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Thanks for posting those pics of your bracket. When I started writing "War & Peace" in my previous post I hadn't seen that yet.

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote