Old 03-31-2016   #1
Denver, Colorado
Dry box dimensions

I have a 1995 NRS E-140 raft that I am digging thus far.
It came with a dry box, but I'm not sure I love the fit.
Running a NRS Frame and DRE Seat, below me is a 19" bay.
Inside to inside of my boat is aobut 44"

Dry box is 44" long, 15 1/4" deep, and 15" tall.
It seems too wide to sit in the boat comfortably as it needs to be wedged in, it won't go in if set straight down. I could put some wear tabs on the tubes and run it, but wondering about the 3-4" of depth I could be using.

For a 44" boat, 19" under driver bay, what dimensions would you make your dry box.
If you say use what I've got, what would you put in that 3-4" of space fore to aft. I am debating putting a floor under it, but guessing if I got a good fitting dry box that could rest on tabs, I wouldn't need to.

Please ask any questions needed to give the best answers you can.
If you have one that fits my needs, please let me know.

I see on NRS site, they sell them in 36 and 38" lengths. Is that all people use and just leave 3" on either side of the box to the tube?

Thanks for helping outfit the rig for us

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #2
Craigamerica, -
You have a few options. One get a new DRE seat built for 15 1/4 bay and move your cross bar in. Two have a new box built if you go this way I'd make it 43 wide DRE can build you a box any demision. Three get another NRS cross bar and use it to take up the slack.
Four listen to some jackass about getting rid of your frame amd getting a frame and box from a d-bag in Oregon.

No one cares that you are a river guide
sledhooligan is online now   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
If you load it before the boat is fully inflated will it go in easy? If you do not need to take it out on the river, I would just add some patch material where it rubs the raft. No wasted space side to side and it is far enough off the floor that sliding over a rock wont pinch the floor between the dry box and rock.
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016   #4
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
On my E-140 my drybox is 38" wide. It fits great with a few inches to spare on each side. I have never noticed any tube rub. For the record this is the box I have, Eddy Out Aluminum Dry Box 38L x 16H x 13D at and I have no complaints.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote