Drilling NRS tubing to mount side board - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-19-2017   #1

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Drilling NRS tubing to mount side board

Just to double check before I pull out the drill: I'm planning to mount my plywood sideboards to my NRS single rail frame by through-drilling two of the aluminum pipe crossbars and bolting the side rails on with carriage bolts that go through the crossbars to nylock nuts. Has anyone had a frame break from being drilled like this? Anyone done this successfully? Thoughts from anyone besides Greenwall?

ben94122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017   #2

Denver, Colorado
I drilled a number of 1/4 inch holes in my 1 1/2 schedule 40 aluminum pipe to mount decking and I have a very, very hard time imagining that such small vertical holes in such thick pipe would have any meaningful consequence. But different pipe and I haven't put my frame to any outrageous stress. I used furniture connector bolts to lock plywood decking down on the frame and in my opinion this amounts to gusseting that should make the frame stiffer from racking from the types of forces I'd envision being places on it. And it makes certain the speed fittings can't slide off.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #3

Willimina, Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Do not drill pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben94122 View Post
Just to double check before I pull out the drill: I'm planning to mount my plywood sideboards to my NRS single rail frame by through-drilling two of the aluminum pipe crossbars and bolting the side rails on with carriage bolts that go through the crossbars to nylock nuts. Has anyone had a frame break from being drilled like this? Anyone done this successfully? Thoughts from anyone besides Greenwall?
Do not drill pipe near center-span. In flexure, the pipe will fail at the holes you drilled especially if the holes are on the top or bottom of the section. Use a wrap around strap or ubolt to affix deck boards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017   #4

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
I agree with Gary about not drilling center span.

Have you thought of using NRS u bolts, or u bolts from hardware store?

I have a few 1/4-3/8 holes in less critical spots in my frame for cup holders, a raised front casting deck (bass boat style), and other hardware that I can take on and off depending on the day. My Frame hasn't broken yet.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #5

Denver, Colorado
yeah, my 1/4 inch holes are all within a foot or so of the side tube.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

T-nash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't do it. There are other options that won't weaken your frame, or let water in. Go with U-bolts with a piece of flat metal strapping between the bolt ends, run it on top of the side boards so it won't rub your tubes.

You could also do like I do, and just tie them on. I use some flat webbing, get the pieces wet, tie a good TIGHT square not on the side towards the tube. Especially once a little dirt gets in the knots, they are not going anywhere. Good quality cord works to.
I use this option because there is nothing to cut a bare foot, U-bolts are brobly stronger.

Some people use one foot cam straps, which makes your side boards easily removable if you ever need to drop some weight.
mattman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #7
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
why not do it like this?
http://richmedia.channeladvisor.com/...ipeHeight=1000

just takes 4 lopro's and a piece of scrap pipe. this is what I did on my frame. works great.
Old 03-20-2017   #8

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
^^^what he said^^^
I drill as few holes as possible and in this case you have other options.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
why not do it like this?
http://richmedia.channeladvisor.com/...ipeHeight=1000

just takes 4 lopro's and a piece of scrap pipe. this is what I did on my frame. works great.
Cause 4 lo pro's cost a $100 X 2 sides =$200 to mount side rails? No thanks. I strap mine on with 2' straps, easily removable and costs around $10 a side. NRS u-bolts cut down a bit with barrel nuts (https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=1451) is another great option.
Old 03-20-2017   #10
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
Cause 4 lo pro's cost a $100 X 2 sides =$200 to mount side rails? No thanks. I strap mine on with 2' straps, easily removable and costs around $10 a side. NRS u-bolts cut down a bit with barrel nuts (https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=1451) is another great option.
two lopro's per side. = 4 lopro's = $100 retail. or like $30 on craigslist. for me it was $25 on craigslist, no holes to drill, pipe was left over. like you I'm cheap. you could do the same thing with speed rail fittings too.. if you want to go cheap and new. there are many ways of putting side boards on a frame though. Just comes down to preference.