Old 02-14-2014   #21
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
The only excuse for leaving a drag bag in the water overnight is if you're opening and closing it every 15-20 minutes... not saying we haven't all done it, but the bag belongs in the bottom of the boat at night and through rapids.
Back in the day we used gunnysacks, cut holes around the top and threaded a piece of rope through for closure. That was before self-fillers, and (horrors!) micro-brew! Also when you used your old steel 'biners for river work, I think I still have some!

B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #22
Use the cheapest, oldest bag with many holes.
I can not believe the number of eddy beers I have found over the years and if everyone switches to new, well made bags, I will be cut off from my free supply!

I don't understand the concept of the beer bag floating all day next to the boat.
The water 3' down is typically 10 degrees (or more) colder than the surface water and a 70 degree beer will cool to river temperature in 10 minutes.

Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #23
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I have been using a bag like this for years, MARINE SPORTS Dive Bag with wire Handle at West Marine. It is not a durable as the other drag bags mentioned, I bought it in the late 80s for diving. I started using it as a drag bag 7 seasons ago and finally replaced it last season because the metal handle bent and was easy to close but hard to open. (bad combination holding my beer hostage) The mesh held up well over the years. There are a few small rips, but nothing major. I clip the handle to a d-ring. The bag and cans stay in the water while being held close to the raft and out of the way of the oars. I just bought a new bag last season, the new bag has a plastic d-ring sewn into it, I don't trust it though.

Easy to open handle
Packs small
Easy to see through so you can take stock in your supplies
Perfect bag for storing your cam straps before and after the trip.

Lightweight mesh is prone to tearing if abused
Easy for kayakers to sneak up and grab a beverage

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote