Dorie build - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-20-2016   #11

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I bought a book by Roger Fletcher called Drift Boats & River Dories. It has ten sets of drawings in it of ten diferent style drift boats and dories. They are not a set of detailed plans but I used to be a carpenter and My best Friend is a better carpenter than I am. We both took a weeks vacation and worked on it 10 Hours a day for 5 days. First day built the frames and layed out the sides. It has half inch sides and 3 quarter bottom. We cheated and built two sets of sides out of quarter because we knew we could not bend half.

It is the third design of Woodie Hindman. The 16 foot Double Ender with a Transom. So it is actually a Mckenzie River drift boat but when I get done Decking it it will be a dory. I am having a little trouble getting it to self bail any advice on this subject would be apprecciated.

I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016   #12

Rivertown, West Virginia
Oh yeah, This idea popped into my head to build this thing for Gauley season one week and did it the next. If I wrap it around a huge bolder and have to river board out with a piece of it I will not be out a fortune. We typically tend to over build things so I do not believe that will be the case but You never know. For any one out there thinking about starting one of these it can be done. I believe if you have a friend that will help you it will go a lot easier. Getting the shape of the boat is not that hard. The rocker forms its self as you bend the sides in. Put the middle frame in and start working your way toward the bow. Then put the back frames in. There is a youtube video of three guys putting the sides on and all the frames in in just over one hour. All the hard work is finishing the inside which I have not done yet. We just build two water tight or should I say resistant compartments in the bow and stern. Any way thanks for the compliments.

Mattman, I tried to spell every thing correctly here so I will not get scolded by the teacher anymore. Keep Missspelling into the future
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
Old 08-21-2016   #13

Flagstaff, Arizona
Excellent work Curtis! If this type of craft is new to you, get some practice in easy water and work to improve your skill set. These are very fun boats to row, but failure happens quick. Have fun with it! Yours, another boat builder...
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016   #14

Rivertown, West Virginia
Thanks Tom, Your book Big Water Little boats is what inspired me to build this. I had her out on a mild run yesterday and discover how much more responsive the dory is compared to my larger catarafts. She turns like my sabertooth. I also noticed how it will find small currents and follow them. Thank you for all your work putting the book together.
Old 08-21-2016   #15
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Curtis, that boat looks sweet! That's some solid Carpentry to, getting that much done in a week!
I think if I ever built a Dory, it would be after the Colorado River Dory design, sounds like such a solid boat. Really enjoyed that book to, Maulty sounded like such a solid, easy going person, one of my favorite river books.
Old 08-22-2016   #16

Rivertown, West Virginia
Thanks Mattman, I am with you on the Colorado River Dory. It is by far the sweetest boat, I just needed something smaller for these Eastern Rivers.
Old 08-24-2016   #17

Flagstaff, Arizona
Hey Curtis, You have a good question in the self bailing department, and you have a couple of options.

Moulty Fulmer wanted to keep his center of gravity low, so he made his seat height so that his feet would be on the bottom of the boat. His scuppers were just above the waterline, but it meant his footwell would flood below the waterline and he would have to bail that out.

Otis "Dock" Martson had solved the flooded footwell problem by raising the seat in his hard-hull motorboats so that his feet were at the waterline, where his scupper holes were. Dock wrote Moulty suggesting Fulmer raise his seat higher and put his feet up at the waterline, but Fulmer didn't do it as he wanted to keep that Center of Gravity (COG) low.

The big Briggs style dories have so much under deck storage that the boat rower sitting higher is not that big a deal, and the boat bails like Dock had it figured out.

Having rowed both a fully loaded 15 foot McKenzie style GC dory and an 18 foot Briggs stye GC dory, I really like the smaller boat as it is so much more responsive.

Hope you are having fun with this. Please let us know how the Gauley run goes, and here's wishing you all the very best in your water adventures!
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #18

Rivertown, West Virginia
Thanks again Tom, l loaded the boat with 500lbs and marked the water line. It came in 1.75 inches above the floor which was on top of the bottom frame piece. I filled that space with Styrofoam then added 2 inches more. Put a quarter inch floor on that and drilled 1.5 inch holes at the floor line. That makes the holes half inch above the waterline. I hid the holes on the inside with panels leaving a quarter inch gap at the bottom. I hid the holes on the out side with the rub rail cutting through it and removing the bottom of the holes and facing the rub rail with a piece of quarter inch ply wood. I left a sump in the floor so I can completely drain the boat once out of the water. If l ever want to load it heavy and take it on a milder river, l can pull of these rub rails and put on a solid set that will.cover the bail holes.
Old 08-24-2016   #19
Gary F

Philipsburg, Montana
Paddling Since: 1984
I had a 16.5 foot Ray's river dory years ago. Am I sorry I ever sold that!! It handled so, so sweet. I took it down the Deschutes and Hell's canyon all of the time. Your boat looks awesome. I want to get one again one day.
kokoroltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #20

Rivertown, West Virginia
Here is the New color. And thank you Kokoroltd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0074.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	12252