DIY Raft Pads - am I nuts? - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-27-2016   #61

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
I had a friend of mine take it down Ruby Horse Thief and gave it a glowing review. He said it was the preferred pad on the trip. I believe they have 4" maravias silverbacks. He also said that the color was great. The white was cool on the hottest days.
On the down side, it obviously is dirty looking, but that was a given with white. The Medium-firm foam rolled up, but not as tight as other pads, so that is a consideration as well. I think it's just a balance between firmness and ability to roll.
I think I'll be making another one, and give them a full review after Deso this August.

altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2016   #62

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Maybe I missed it in all the posts , where do you get your foam in SLC ? Also, any more test runs on the glued pad?
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #63

Salt Lake City, Utah
In one of my posts I put a link to a foam I sourced off Ebay. I chose medium/firm foam and it seems to be a good choice. I couldn't find a cost effective source in Salt Lake. They ship for free, so it's a pretty reasonable way to do it. Still, $50 for foam.
I'll be doing Deso the second week in August and will post another review then. My friend liked it so much he asked me to make him two. They have a blue and a yellow Silverback, and liked the white for the heat control, but it does get dirty and scuffed. I'll be making two for him and one for me.
Old 07-19-2016   #64

Fort Collins, Colorado
I may be alone in this but I think paco/jacks plastic are waaaay overrated and waaaay overpriced!!!!! There not that comfy and let's face it the only good thing they have going is that they are water proof otherwise, they suck!!
I recently got a klymit pad for a seven day trip. It was way more comfy. I would never put it on top of a cooler with my looping straps because it's only filled with air and would pop in no time! But what if there was a pad designed like the klymit, v shaped air pockets made out out of paco material. Bam! Now that's a hell of an idea.
iheartwhitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #65

Paddling Since: 1994
I dont know man. I have well over 1000 (yes, a thousand) nights on one of my paco pads and its still rocking. That thing has been to Africa, I slept on it every night for a year+, 4 grand canyon trips, countless (100's) of other multi days and day trips, car camping and has been treated worse than any other piece of gear I own. It gets used to pad out the raft, float down the river, make slip and slides, block sand storms and wind, I could go all night naming off shit this paco pad has been through. The thing even blew in the river one day. When I got back to camp and found it was gone, I blew up the ducky, paddled down and found it pinned. I rescued her and shes served another 2 years after that. I have seen countless other brands of pads come and go and this paco won't give up.

Back when I got it +/- 12 years ago I think I paid about $150. Thats less than $.15 a night, not counting any value for its countless other uses (which have been priceless at times). Not sure how much $$ your Klymit is but let me know when you have its use down to $.15 a night ,much less when it can serve for one day under the kind of abuse this thing has had. Pacos are worth every dollar! I wouldn't think twice about buying one for $250 or whatever they go for these days if I needed another one. For a rafting situation their value can't be beat.

Oh, a V channel pad made out of PVC would weigh about 20 lbs and likely cost $500
Old 07-20-2016   #66

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
It gets used to pad out the raft, float down the river, make slip and slides, block sand storms and wind, I could go all night naming off shit this paco pad has been through.
They also work well as snow sleds if the snow is packed or on a steep enough pitch. I will, however, highly recommend NOT using it as a sled on snowy roads with crushed rock slung out via snowplow trucks. My original pad is no longer water tight because of said stupidity.
Old 07-20-2016   #67

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Agree with zbaird 100%. Paco pads are invaluable. Every other inflatable sleeping pad I've owned has been short lived, given me sleepless nights, and we're not cheap either. Much respect to the OP and his efforts, his home brew pads look legit, and are something to be proud of.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #68

Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks Sherpa9543! As the above discussion outlines beautifully, they high value in Pacos and other pads are their longevity under harsh conditions. If this proves to be similarly hearty, I'll be very pleased. If not, it was a fun project that bridged me from grad school/poverty raft to a better complete setup.
Old 07-21-2016   #69

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Altaholics Pad Was Amazing

We thought our Maravia Silverback 4" pads were pretty cool until we tried Altaholics prototype pad on Ruby/Horsethief a few weeks ago. We fought over it every night.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #70

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by altaholics View Post
In one of my posts I put a link to a foam I sourced off Ebay. I chose medium/firm foam and it seems to be a good choice. I couldn't find a cost effective source in Salt Lake. They ship for free, so it's a pretty reasonable way to do it. Still, $50 for foam.
I'll be doing Deso the second week in August and will post another review then. My friend liked it so much he asked me to make him two. They have a blue and a yellow Silverback, and liked the white for the heat control, but it does get dirty and scuffed. I'll be making two for him and one for me.
Will you post the link to the foam you used? The prior links were to a firm foam and to a rubber foam.
spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote