DIY Raft Pads - am I nuts? - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-01-2016   #51

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
[QUOTE=tczues;431558]How much material did you buy ?

I also sourced some cheap halkey roberts type valves off of ebay. I couldn't justify the expense of C7's.

altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2016   #52

Park City, Utah
Thanks. I'm going to give it a try next week after Deso.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tczues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #53

Salt Lake City, Utah
I wasn't able to take it on the San Juan. My friend's daughter had an medical emergency and we had to scratch it. I'll update when I get a chance to test it out.
Old 05-11-2016   #54

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Memory Foam

Anyone have thoughts on whether memory foam would be a good improvement for a pad instead of the high density foam.

Having never used (or touched) a memory foam mattress topper, I don't know if it would provide benefit (comfort) or would be a detriment (too soft, too heavy, would never dry if it got wet?)

Jack's Plastics indicated they got memory foam from a supplier by accident and the customers that got those pads didn't like them...
denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016   #55

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by denachuck View Post
Anyone have thoughts on whether memory foam would be a good improvement for a pad instead of the high density foam.

Having never used (or touched) a memory foam mattress topper, I don't know if it would provide benefit (comfort) or would be a detriment (too soft, too heavy, would never dry if it got wet?)

Jack's Plastics indicated they got memory foam from a supplier by accident and the customers that got those pads didn't like them...
I would think memory foam would be way too soft, and at the thickness of a river pad would compress all the way to nothing.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016   #56

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
I would think memory foam would be way too soft, and at the thickness of a river pad would compress all the way to nothing.
Memory foam is pretty heavy as well.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016   #57

Pretty sure the Maravia pad uses memory foam, it comes in different firmness/density just like other foam. I have a Jack's and my wife has the Maravia, it's a pretty comfy pad. Just looked up the specs, the Maravia Silverback weighs a couple pounds less than the Paco.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016   #58

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Nice work! I like the AIRE landing pad's position of the valve. Did you double up on PVC material around the valve? Like a doughnut patch on the inside? I'd think that one could glue a pad together too if they didn't want to weld with the heat gun. Good thread!!
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016   #59

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Nice work! I like the AIRE landing pad's position of the valve. Did you double up on PVC material around the valve? Like a doughnut patch on the inside? I'd think that one could glue a pad together too if they didn't want to weld with the heat gun. Good thread!!
Thanks! I just glued the material together to make a tube, slid in the foam and then cut out the holes for the valves and carefully carved out the foam to make space for the internal piece. I didn't even think of doubling up, but with the flexing at the corner, I may regret it. I probably need to put on some corner patches like Jack's does.

As to the discussion of memory foam, I may do another one with two inches of medium/firm foam like I have and either one or two inches of softer foam. I would glue the two sheets together, likely with some 3M adhesive or maybe I'll call an upholstery place and see what they use. I've thought of memory foam, but I'm not sure. It would make rolling it easier, and I'm not super worried about a little bit of weight.
Old 05-12-2016   #60

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I love my pacos. Jack is the original. I'll stick with jack. Nothing against DIY though.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote