Old 02-27-2015   #21
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
I use cheap coolers but I'm real careful to maintain them during the trip and it usually works out pretty well. One trick that hasn't been mentioned yet is a floating lid made from a blue sleeping pad cut to the exact size of the inside. As the level of contents drops so does the lid so the air space between the lid and the floating lid isn't cooled. Also several smaller coolers rather than one big one will cut down on the number of times they each get opened.
man, that is very smart. i do that sometimes with my catering food boxes, moving a cold plate up and down the inside to decrease ambient air space between air and product. never thought to use the same technique in a cooler. gonna try it for sure.

chefpels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #22
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Incoop, if you couldn't sit or stand on your cooler then you must weigh a lot more than bubba Clinton. We, meaning the kids, sit and stand on the cooler all day since it is the best seat under the bimini. I plan to get a couple more years out of it and have my 4th GC trip May 1st. It will have cost me less than 75 cents per day at the end of this season.

May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #23
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I have had some Wal-Mart coolers for over 10 years. And had one lose most it's screws on the first trip. I was very fortunate not to of had one damage the boat. I now buy quality roto molded coolers.
I think building your own cooler could be a pretty cool project. Especially if you haven't built your frame around a specific cooler.
I think you could keep the weight down by playing around with different materials. You can absolutely build it plenty strong. Most people leave their cooler in the boat for the entire trip anyway. I would like to see how your project works out.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #24
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I always wanted to build one partially for the custom size, but mostly so I could put a drain out the front. It would be nice to not even have to lift it up to drain. You could probably also design in a better system than straps to keep it all secure in a flip.

Stilts is offline   Reply With Quote