Old 02-18-2014   #11
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I've owned all the aforementioned and if I can get one more season out of my Dynalites they will have lasted twice as long as anything else and will therefore be worth the expense. They also are lighter and don't flutter so they are worth the money.

I mostly run bigger water but also get out on smaller rocky runs runnable at peak flows.

I have broken blades, but feel I have avoided many breaks by not using Oar-Rights.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #12
No love for wood? Personal favorite are pro-v's. Not sure how to explain it, there's just something about the shape that just makes them feel "soft" going in and out of the water. Nice for fishing. Plus, I don't know what kind of process they use to fiberglass and epoxy them but dang are they tough. I don't think you could shark bite one. Every time I think I really hammered one it just comes up with a little scratch on the coating .

There's another factor that's been touched on, you should decide if you want a buoyant blade or not. I like the bit of float that a wood blade provides, especially when I have to use a blade that sinks on occasion.

overall though I think it's the shaft that plays the more important role. Row a nice Sawyer or cat regardless of blade then try to go back to a Carlisle and you feel where the money went, IMHO.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #13
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
+1 Pro-V's. I like the float, the feel and of course the classic look. Tried everything (carlisle, cataract, sawyer) but Dynalites.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #14
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Bigdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #15
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I have had good luck with magnums. Yes I have screwed up a few. I think they work best on smaller set ups with shorter shafts. Like a 13' boat on 8' sticks the mag really lets me put down some power. But when the shafts get longer the magnums and extra leverage work my shoulders over. So, once the shafts hit around 9' the 6 1/2" carlisles seem to work out better for me. Just a thought.

Oar rights are nothing more than training wheels! Lose them and get a feel for the water.
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #16
Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
yup, I use the skinny carlisles too, on polecats. feel great. cheap and easy
Simply in between swims
floatingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #17
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988

Utah doesn't really have any rocky rivers, so he should be alright with whatever- hell, buy a full set of razors!

Really thought, blades are meant to be bent and broken. Buy some Carlisles, use them, break them, replace them, repeat.

Originally Posted by mania View Post
cataract magnums are brittle and will chip on rocky rivers. cataract razors are extremely expensive and not really any stronger. sawyers will also break on rocky rivers and have the annoying screw in blade and they are costly. carlisles have a stupid lip that catches your oar tethers but they are cheap. half the replies here will say but I never chip my sawyers or cataracts and I run rocky rivers. I mean REALLY rocky, tight rivers with must make moves.
dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #18
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1992
Used them all.
Once you go Square-top, you never go back!
Utah Whitewater Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #19
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1988
I really like the Sawyer duramax blades. They are a compromise width at 7" and way burlier than the Cataract blades. I also really like that they are 4" longer than the Carlisle blades. (Not sure how many realize that) I've used Carlisle's successfully for 20 years but the last three with the duromax I've never had to straighten them or come close to bending them. There is a downside with the Sawyer's. They have a funky screw retainer unlike the pop up pins in the Carlisle paddles. This screw is a really big flat head and the material is pretty soft. Not sure how they would hold up over repeated screwing/unscrewing over the years, especially because not many people would have a tool that fits the slot very well. I store and transport my oars assembled (key to keeping Cataract shafts in decent shape), so it isn't an issue. Could be for some.
deets440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #20
D'ango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

I've had the Sawyers on Cataracts and Carlisles, seen 2 Cataracts explode, 2 Carlisles bend, and the only thing that ever broke a blade was my roomate's snow thrower. They even self rescue-when you get drunk and let one fall off your boat while you sleep, it is right in the next eddy in the morning.

Bornwithatail is offline   Reply With Quote