Custom trailer help - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-06-2016   #11

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
As big as you can. Western states have speed limits up to 75-80 MPH. You're going to be a little limited by how big you can go by that style of trailer.

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016   #12

Nampa, Idaho
What will you use to tow it Tim?
Old 08-06-2016   #13

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHarden View Post
Thanks! Sounds like I should go with the 12ft bed for the 14ft raft rather than a 14ft bed.

LAST QUESTION:

Considering I'll be driving from San Francisco to Montana, Colorado, Oregon, etc., what tire size is best?
bigger the better - 15 would be best, 14 better, 13 ok. The draw back with bigger tires is a higher deck - so balance you're loading ability with rolling efficiency.

I agree on 12' being better than 14'. the longer it is, the more you have to push the boat back to engage the roller - actually same issue either unloading or loading. It sounds like your size will work fine but if you're not totally sure just lay out the dimensions with tape or flagging or something on the ground around your boat and see if there is enough room. It's really nice to have enough space to stand on the trailer and mess around in the boat or cooler. I made my own deck, did not do this and wish I had another 3" per side.
Old 08-06-2016   #14

Redwood City, California
Paddling Since: 2016
Everyone:

Again, I really appreciate this. I had no idea how difficult getting the right trailer would be.

I will be pulling with my FJ Cruiser.

It sounds like I should go with a 15" tire? Bigger? (I will have a winch and roller.)

THANKS!

Tim
TimHarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016   #15

Belgrade, Montana
It's only as hard as you make it... you could just buy a cheapy utility trailer, u-bolt on some 2x6's and get buy. But I think you're being smart and doing it right, you won't regret it.

I think above 15 you're at a point of diminishing returns. You don't need load range E tires to carry a raft - everything just gets heavier as you go up. 15" with a 2500lb axle should be great - the right weight and capacity for the job.
Old 08-06-2016   #16

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
My 20.5 run great.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016   #17

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
My 20.5 run great.
do they have spinners? I'd like to see that.
Old 08-06-2016   #18

Nampa, Idaho
What about the gear?

Tim,
The Toyota Cruiser probably won't haul as much gear as a pickup. Since you're not afraid to go custom and are already planning on a winch, why not get a trailer that has the ability to haul some gear? Flatbeds can only haul a raft and whatever gear you're comfortable loading inside the raft. Have you thought about a utility trailer with a deck mounted on it?

Like this:
https://blog.cascadeoutfitters.com/2...raft-industry/

You could have something similar fabricated or buy a utility trailer and have decks added.

My buddy has a flatbed with 13" tires. It keeps up at 80 MPH. However, he has trailer envy of mine that have the ability to haul a shit ton of gear underneath.
Old 08-06-2016   #19

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
20.5 is the tire size not the rim size but the truck has 20' rims with some 33's tires. No spinners though.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016   #20

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have my 18' raft on a 10' trailer. That's pushing it to the limit, though. As soon as I have a spare $5000 lying around, I'm going to get a 20' or 22' enclosed trailer, and leave my boat rigged, in it's own "garage" all the time. And I'll have a tiny kitchen built into the angled front part for making breakfast/coffee instead of having to unpack the boat to cook on put-in morning.
climbdenali is online now   Reply With Quote