Mountain Buzz banner

Custom Cooler molding

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  mkashzg 
#1 ·
I was wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions on where I can find a fabrication shop that does custom one-off roto-molding/plastic fabrication. I want to replace the lids on a split lid cooler.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I don't think that's going to happen. Roto molding requires expensive iron forms for each part... expensive like thousands of times more than the cost of a new cooler. You might be able to make replacement parts out of foam and fiberglass or even carbon. Either will be very expensive but way less than "custom rotomolded"....

I'd love to hear about it if I'm wrong, but I really don't think I am.

#4 ·
I can't imagine that just buying a new cooler isn't the cheapest option. I'd love to hear otherwise.

Perhaps you might get lucky that the original manufacturer might have been savvy enough to set aside enough units to provide parts for the rare situation of busting half of a cooler. Let us know how it turns out.

#5 ·
I'm siding with buying a new cooler. A few years ago I decided to build a cooler, and after I tallied all of the nickels and dimes that were spent, I was $300 into the cooler and about 40 hours of time. It currently resides in the basement (permanently) because it's just not as good, light, or easy to clean as the Black Rock cooler. Definitely not worth it.

The gear we love wears out, it's just a fact of life. Good quality gear just wears out more slowly when we take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#6 ·
If the problem is ice melt because of temperature loss due to the split lid, try adding some additional insulation first. Like a floating lid made from a blue sleeping pad that sits on top of the stuff in the cooler and drops with the level of ice melt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.