Cots? What am I missing? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-09-2016   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Cots? What am I missing?

I've always just spread my thermarest on the ground. A cot just seemed like more weight and more gear to haul around. To make it comfortable you'd have to put a thermarest on top anyway. However, so many of you talk about cots and rol-a-cot in particular.
What am I missing?

I want to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #2

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Your missing a cot?
Old 08-09-2016   #3

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Two things- a cot plus a thermarest equals the comfort of a bed. And a cot adds airflow beneath you on hot desert floats. It's a real thing~

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #4

page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
cots can be set up on a cobble bar...
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #5

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
And if you enjoy sleeping outside of a tent -- no creepy, crawlies. Some boat frames allow the choice of sleeping on a boat.

If your my size: 6'2" and 195, I'd recommend a wider and longer cot. The side rails can be annoying on the standard roll a cot.

My 3 person tent allows for a cot to fit as well, so when my wife isn't on a trip, and the weather dictates, I set it inside. That said, this year I bought a Nemo mattress. Amazing comfort without the additional cot.

On a side note: my vestibule fits a chair or two for when the shit hits the fan weather wise...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #6

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
You are missing the "boat" entirely. An IK is what you need, its a boat, a cot and pad, and a couch:

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #7

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Now that's taking it to the next level!
Old 08-10-2016   #8

Hi,

In addition to the benefit of cooler air up off the sand, you also miss out on having to deal with wind-driven sand that moves at ground level on breezy nites.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #9

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I discovered the wonders of a cot about 2 years ago. I backpack a lot in CO mountains as well and have never slept well at night on a thermarest (tried all kinds - flat, tube style, etc). However, I am a side sleeper and no matter how thick my thermarest was, I always found my hips were hitting the group a bit when I slept on my side and hurt (or I had to inflate it so much that felt unnatural). The cot solves that problem as it flexes well. If you sleep just fine on a thermarest, then I suspect you don't need a cot. But if you sleep like crap, a cot is a miracle. I will admit, I never tried a silverback paco, but didn't want to mortgage my house to get a better nights sleep.

As an aside, most folks here are in love with the roll a cot. I'm sure it is fine and the weight is better, but I use the REI made cot. it is steel, so about 7 lbs heavier, but sets up in 30 seconds, vs. several minutes for roll a cot and if you get 20% off sale at REI, costs less than half as much (around $50).
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #10

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Comment on ducky - my son sleeps in that and does well. Obviously though, it's not practical if you are bringing it solely to sleep on and as a couch as you need to inflate it every day.
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote