Cots? What am I missing? - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-11-2016   #41

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Are those dimensions accurate? Most Thermarest (camp rest) are 25" wide. Cool idea- wish mine would do that. I bet the fabric top is to prevent your skin from looking like a checkerboard when you wake up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I use the same TRest that goes in my Thermarester. I think it's 20". The fabric is just fine for sleeping directly on. I haven't tried the mesh ones.

mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2016   #42

Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
If you don't understand the cot then you have better knees than me. It is so nice not to be crawling around on the ground. It takes it from a great river experience to awesome for a few pounds of weight. If it's too much weight you need a bigger raft. I sleep better on my cot and REI base camp then I do at home.
Old 09-02-2016   #43

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Ok. I bought the cot last week. It's the wide rol-a-cot with the blue mesh. I'm going to try it out in Hells Canton in 2 weeks. Now, what do you use to keep the bugs off at night when sleeping under the stars?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2016   #44

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
You're going to like that! If it's really buggy I've seen people use a bivy sack. On the Main a couple years back when the yellow jackets were out of hand, I just set the cot up inside of a tent.

mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016   #45

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Gonna put a Thermarest on there?

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016   #46

Jenks, Oklahoma
this has worked great for me on my roll a cot since 2014

https://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-KR-...on+System+Tent
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016   #47

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Gonna put a Thermarest on there?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1472852792.729710.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	12287
This one. The dream time XL. 2 1/2" of pad. 2" of memory foam. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1472852848.937237.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	12288

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016   #48

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Like Saddam's palace

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016   #49

cedar city, Utah
I am slowly converting. I am a side sleeper and tired of the ground. Other than backpacking I will be converting to cot sleeping the first moment our budget allows. Comfort, air flow and an added benefit if increasing usable space in our tent: my dog loves sleeping under us on cots, especially during thunderstorms.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016   #50

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I managed to get a wide roll a cot last minute right before my Grand Canyon trip and I was super glad to have it. I slept on my "Guide" Paco Pad one night just to see the difference, and instantly went back to the Cot. I actually used it on my boat most nights and it worked great. Used it on shore a few nights when it was a crazy eddy and it was great there too. I'm a total convert now.

I never needed a pad or anything since it was pretty warm. Just by itself its plenty comfortable, but its kinda nice to have something between you and the cot like a sheet since its got a plastic/vinyl feel to it.

We had mosquitos a few nights and I actually set my tent up and layed it over the cot just to keep the bugs off on one of them. It looked a bit silly but worked well.

I used my fleece bivy on quite a few nights and it actually worked well to just use it like a blanket with nothing on the cot. It actually worked perfect with cool air under and warmth over you.

Needless to say, I'm a complete convert now. For colder weather I'm sure a nice sleeping pad will do the trick to keep me warm and I bet its super comfy that way too.

Oh, and I'm a side sleeper too and a big dude, and I had no problems feeling cramped with the wide roll a cot.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote