Cots? What am I missing? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-10-2016   #21

Sandpoint, Idaho
I recently learned of a new sleeping pad called the 'Laid Back Pad'.

My GF does not care for the mish-mash of pads that I bring car camping. (she has yet to go backpacking with me, I have been camping since before my earliest memories, including a very long stint of hardcore climbing) She found this pad on Amazon. I was highly skeptical, except when it arrived, I am pretty much blown away. I have not slept a full night on it yet, (it is hers, not mine) but I can tell immediately that it is super comfy, and protects from rocks, etc. It does not have the 'hard' feeling of a Thermarest (I still own 4 different Thermarest pads)

I am 48 y./o. and my body is less tolerant of sleeping on rocks than it used to be.

The LBP is made with a bottom layer of hard(ish) foam, about 1/2" thick, a middle layer of a stiffer memory foam, about 1" , topped with a 1" layer of what is stated to be 4lb memory foam. It does not have that 'molding' feeling of a tempurpedic or similar mattress. It has a Cordura bottom, and a flannel top. The shell is removable for cleaning. Perhaps a better shell could be sewn? The flannel top is very comfy, if seemingly delicate in a camping environment.

Drawbacks for the Laid Back Pad, are that it only comes in a 72" version, currently, and that it has a flannel top. To me, the top is just asking to get dirty, or wet. Still, this is the most comfortable pad that I have ever laid on. I am weighing whether to get one, even though I am 6'4.

No, I have zero affiliation with this company at all, and I am very skeptical about some camping equipment.

This is a comfortable pad.

I guess the company must be very new, as I could find almost zero info on the net about it. GF was brave.. I would have never bought it. Glad she did!

Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016   #22

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Roll- A- Cot

I tape the legs of my Roll-A- cot with electical tape. This prevents the transfer of aluminum to the hands. I do the same with the legs of the Roll-A- Tables. I have been using a Roll- A- Cot since 1991 and finally wore my first one out. Great products and still made in the USA by a fine company.
I use a couple if six foot straps to prevent my pad from migrating off the cot, this also keeps the pad and bag from blowing off if it is windy.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #23
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Cascade River Gear formally Cascade Outfitters

Hey Dr. Andy, have you checked out the Helinox cots we have upstairs with the roll a cots? They are sweet and lightweight. That being said I adore my roll a cot with my Silverback pad. You know I do enjoy my princess camp set up when on the river or car camping - Renee
Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #24

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtrat View Post
I tape the legs of my Roll-A- cot with electical tape. This prevents the transfer of aluminum to the hands.
Does that make sliding the sleeve over the side bars difficult, or I guess you're just wrapping the legs? I guess that would work, but I wonder if there are any easier, more long-term, more aesthetic solutions- especially given that if I propose a solution to the outfitter I work with, I'll be fixing 50 of the suckers.

I'm thinking gloves are probably the best solution for us.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #25

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Wow, that a lot of Cot Love out there!

I just figured that everyone used them in a tent like I use my Thermarest. A lot of the pictures I've seen here show people sleeping out under the stars. I like that. I have to start thinking outside the tent.

When I sleep under the stars I pack my Thermarest Dreamtime into a bedroll bag and crash out on the ground. Maybe I'll give a cot a try. I am 6'3" 190lbs and the standard 20" Thermarest doesn't work since I side sleep too. Usually my knees and hips are on the ground on each side of the pad. I have a wide basecamp model that is 27" but the 2" of memory foam on top of the 2.5" inflatable pad in my 30" x 77" Dream Time is the best outdoor sleep I've ever had.

Whatever cot I try will have to be at least 30" wide and long enough for that pad. I'm leaning toward the wide roll a cot, I just wish it was longer. I also looked at the Helinox Max. It looks plenty long and might be wide enough but it must be made of solid gold! $399. Even if I could afford it, I don't think its tall enough to keep out of the blowing sand and take advantage of the cooler air.
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #26

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
Does that make sliding the sleeve over the side bars difficult, or I guess you're just wrapping the legs? I guess that would work, but I wonder if there are any easier, more long-term, more aesthetic solutions- especially given that if I propose a solution to the outfitter I work with, I'll be fixing 50 of the suckers.

I'm thinking gloves are probably the best solution for us.
Maybe I buy the cheap electrical tape but it seems to melt in the sun. Maybe some wide gorilla clear tape and run it long ways and wrap it around? Stuff ob1coby is using on his frame.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #27

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Dr Andy, are you feeling the love yet?

Also, you can set the cot up on sloping/uneven ground pretty easy with a couple sticks, stones or other suitable shims (crushed beer can).

for us +50 types it makes getting up just a bit easier.

There's also a crazy russian on here that makes a double cot bed to cuddle his wife.
Old 08-10-2016   #28

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Roll a cot makes a long/wide. I save time setting it up by standing it up vertical- then I attach the legs. Mine has 3 sets. Accommodates my 30x78 REI pad just fine.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #29
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
What's a thermarest? Paco dude. That's what you're missing.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #30

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
It looks like they've discontinued the long/wide😕

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote