Old 04-14-2016   #31
That rope handle looks like it should work. I'm sure really any handle would do but that one has a nice squishy grip. The missing feet doesn't really seem to matter, and may actually be a plus cause it cuts down on unnecessary height space under my seat. I will post a reply here with my review next week after my trip. It will only be 4 nights, but it should still give a decent gauge on ice retention. I checked the prices on sportsmans guide and if you sign up for their trial membership you can save more money off the Amazon price. They also happen to have rocket boxes for $27, which was a pretty good deal for me to pick up some additional ones. One of the rocket boxes I got had a messed up lid, but they are exchanging it for me no problem. I think after the trial membership and their shipping coupon I still paid some shipping for everything, but not much considering the weight of the package. They also had a decent deal on canvas military bags, which I plan on using for cans, firewood, etc. Now I just have to remember to cancel the trial before my month is up.

protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016   #32
Denver, Colorado
I'd love to know how the cooler does on your trip! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

lawoftheriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016   #33
Belfair, Washington
Paddling Since: 93
Scrach and dents

We have a few discounted on our website
Black Rock Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016   #34
Denver, Colorado
Just got mine today. It's BIG, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it wasn't shipped to me in a box. It was wrapped in cellophane with cardboard "protecting" the top and latches. Upon inspection I was somewhat surprised to find that it has a hole in the side of the cooler where the drill bit went to far when they were drilling the holes for the handles. I know it was advertised as "blemished", but I was expecting something like a black dot where it shouldn't be or something like that. Not a structural issue...

What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1461123043.419126.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	11361   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1461123069.685270.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	11362  

Old 04-20-2016   #35
C. Springs, Colorado
I'd silicone them shut and call it a day. A drill hole isn't that bad of a blemish. Out of site......out of mind.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016   #36
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Yeah clean it up with a blade and seal it up, doubt it would be worth the time and expense to return.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016   #37
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-06-2016   #38
Alright, I promised a while back to do a cooler on this review. My apologies for the delay, but here is my review:
I ordered the Mammoth Titan 75 (blemish) from Sportsman's Guide. With their membership (remember to cancel before a month!) and reduced shipping I can't remember exactly how much it was, but it was somewhere around $170, which was less than half of retail, and about $100 less than the next cheapest price I found at Walmart. Unfortunately I think they are now sold out of all the largest sizes.
The reason I purchased this cooler was specifically for the dimensions. I needed something that was less than 36" long and shorter than 18." This cooler, at 83 quarts, had the largest capacity out of all the options in my size range. Other coolers I looked at were a K2 90 (too tall) and a Black Rock 90L (too long).
The construction is good. Fit and finish is probably not as nice as some of the other brands. I can tell I will have to hammer the rod that serves as the hinge point back into place occasionally, as it slid just a bit during my one trip. The seal is not overly thick, but I have no concerns about it. The latches are nice. My cooler rests against the frame right at the point of the latches, which makes them difficult to get to. However, they have a nice t-grip at the bottom that gives you more to grab onto than just a straight latch, so that component makes them a lot easier to wiggle around and work with than they otherwise would be. Still not awesome, but workeable. The handles are okay-foam would be nicer. The drain plug is rugged.
The wall thickness is not great. The walls are not as think as either the Black Rock or K2 that I looked at. I suspect either of those brands, as well as several others, probably have better insulation and thus superior ice retention. However, I went into this cooler knowing that would probably be the case since it has the largest capacity for the outside dimensions (something's gotta give and in this case it's the wall thickness). That being said, the ice retention still seems decent. I had the cooler out for 5 total days and used two large frozen water jugs for ice, then filled the remainder with cubes. First day and night were quite cold - woke up to snow on the ground. The rest of the trip was cool with some warm times - 50s-70s. When I unloaded on day 5 there was still ice in the cooler. I think it would have lasted another day, for 6 days total, and then still stayed cool inside for probably one more day. My cooler management was normal. I wasn't leaving the thing open or opening it more times than needed, but also wasn't limiting the access to conserve ice. I also didn't pack it awesome. I would have put in less beverages and more ice, to include more block ice, if I knew I needed it to last longer. So overall with better packing and cooler management I think you could definitely get 7-8 days out of this cooler, maybe longer.
My only gripe with it is the feet. My buddy has one of these that he ordered as a blemish that came with the feet and handles, so that was what I was expecting. Mine came with no feet or handles. And I am so glad it came that way! The rubber feet on my buddy's hold this thing in place incredibly well. WAY too well. I'm sure they are great if you don't want it to slide around in your truck or on a boat deck or something, but I would much rather be able to slide it a couple of inches on my own instead of having it cemented in place. If he needs to scoot it back or to the side in his vehicle, he has to have a second person because it won't slide at all and the size makes it too difficult to lift both sides while you're hunched over in the car door. This has been an issue for him on other occasions as well. He was hoping the feet were just glued to the bottom and he could pry them off, but no luck. Each is attached by two inserts into two holes on the bottom of the cooler. He's too worried about losing insulation to pull them all off and fill all those holes with silicone. So depending on your needs, hopefully you could get one without the feet because they seem like a total pain.
Overall this is a good cooler and a great deal for the money if you can find a blemish. Having looked at some other options, I would say this is not as nice as the other high-end brands out there. The K2 I looked at in particular seemed awesome. It the kind of thing where you look at it and you can just tell it is a step above the rest. Very sturdy and solid. If I could have kept it I would have, even though it cost a lot more, but it just didn't end up fitting like I thought it would. Incidentally, I have the K2 90 for sale, practically unused, if anyone is interested. The Black Rock I looked also seemed a little bit nicer and better built. More attention to the details, etc. That being said, for less than half the price I have no doubt this Mammoth cooler is going to do just fine. It wouldn't be my first choice, and I definitely wouldn't pay retail price for it, but it's a great option if you have particular size or cost needs.

protechie is offline   Reply With Quote