Old 04-12-2015   #1
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Cooler in front or rear.... thoughts?

Do those of you with smaller boats (13 or less) typically put you're cooler in back and dry box in front or visa versa? Why? I'm assuming the full cooler to be substantially heavier. Does it matter? Three bay frame ... in the past I've rowed off the cooler , but a much larger boat with three people up front.
Appreciate any thoughts... even if its just that I'm over thinking it!

dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado

I have a 13 ft and I put in in back to even out the weight. If your alone then think about putting it up front, but with a couple extra beauty's up in front, put it in back.

Although it it nice to have other people get your beer for you.

RaftGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #3
Salida, 81201
Paddling Since: 1995
I like my cooler under me. Reason...I have kids and when we are in Utah and it's 103 degrees there is better cooler management. I'm in a 14' boat. With no kids it is easier to get at the groceries/beers with the cooler up front.
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #4
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Heavy in front- imagine what happens in a big wave if the ass is heavy and the nose is light.....not good

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #5
Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Definitely sit on the cooler. I have a 12' raft. I had a drop bag made and had a little Costco table, and my very petite wife In the front and we plowed through waves on ruby horse thief, rather than float over them. I ditched the drop bag for a thwart, And moved the table to the back and it really lifted the front of the boat, big difference going heavier towards the back.
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #6
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
13' Otter 4 bay frame, cooler in front, I sit on a flip seat on my dry box in the back. I'm 190lbs, my wife is 100lbs, I need the extra cooler weight up front otherwise I'm so ass heavy that I track backwards downriver.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I put kitchen box in front since it comes out every day, cooler next, me rowing sitting on a dry box and lastly the remaining camping gear/personal gear in the rear.
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #8
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Best i can say is go with whatever will make your boat balanced fore aft. I have a 14 and put dry box forward, sit on cooler. I use my water jugs up front under table to level my boat and it has worked well for me, weight is lost from cooler and water at about the same rate. Initially i chose that route so i could have my paco pad cover cooler and have a comfy place to sit. Dose make fetching a beer less convenient.
"Like a bunch of monkey's, trying to fuck a football."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #9
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Under you in the back easier to manage and you shade it too, make sure to distribute the weight and have weight up front or you wont go over/through big waves and holes, the weight in back will just pull the boat back into the big wave or hole. Day trips I put cooler in the front to access all day. I've learned its better to be front heavy than back heavy you want to hit shit with some weight.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #10
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
What I'm mainly hearing is be sure to keep enough weight up front, especially in bigger water... Sounds like pretty good advice... Would like to avoid back flips if possible ... Anxious to see what kind of stability I'm going to have in a small boat... Watched a you tube of a Super Puma with a successful run of Lava at high water last night... Probably s little luck, but he looked good! As always thanks for your thoughts everyone!

dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote