Completing my first raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-22-2016   #1

Indianapolis, Indiana
Completing my first raft

I am new to the world of rafting, and am in the process of putting together my first raft. I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible. I have the rubber (1986 Avon), have purchased the fence rail for my frame, and about to order the "T's" for my homebrew frame (kee klamp).

I'm still in need of towers/locks, oars, foot bar and a fishing seat for the bow. There are zero whitewater shops in my area, so I'm looking for the best place to purchase these online. Do any shops run sales in the fall/winter? I would love to buy used, but being in Indiana, limits those options.

I know Carlisle are the budget oar option, and I'm fine with those. Anyone have a site or company that you'd recommend, or have some old stuff to sell?

FWIW, I'm looking for 8' oars and 8" towers. I can wait on the foot bar and fishing seat/bar, but would like to get the oars and towers/locks soon to make it on the water this year.

Thanks.

pjcalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016   #2

north little rock, Arkansas
Not sure what he has right now, but Darren at Frontierplay sells used oars (and other used stuff too). I bought a set from him and if he hadn't listed them as used I would have thought they were new. He's also a good source for economical but perfectly serviceable dry boxes, and he's a heck of a guy.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
Obviously, the classifieds here. Oars and some parts show up fairly regularly. Outdoorplay.com seems to offer good deals, I think about 15-20% off. NRS has their off-season program, too, with the convenience of one stop, great service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #4

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
What size is your boat? 8' oars are pretty short

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #5

Indianapolis, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
What size is your boat? 8' oars are pretty short

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
12'

The river I fish gets pretty bony in the fall, zero whitewater. It's going to be a 2 man fishing raft mainly, with the ability to float with my wife and 3 year old.
pjcalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #6
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcalla View Post
I am new to the world of rafting, and am in the process of putting together my first raft. I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible. I have the rubber (1986 Avon), have purchased the fence rail for my frame, and about to order the "T's" for my homebrew frame (kee klamp).

I'm still in need of towers/locks, oars, foot bar and a fishing seat for the bow. There are zero whitewater shops in my area, so I'm looking for the best place to purchase these online. Do any shops run sales in the fall/winter? I would love to buy used, but being in Indiana, limits those options.

I know Carlisle are the budget oar option, and I'm fine with those. Anyone have a site or company that you'd recommend, or have some old stuff to sell?

FWIW, I'm looking for 8' oars and 8" towers. I can wait on the foot bar and fishing seat/bar, but would like to get the oars and towers/locks soon to make it on the water this year.

Thanks.
We currently have a sale going on Carlisle Oars at 25% off and 25% off the blades too! Here is a link to that page; Oars & Paddles Sale Product Categories | Cascade River Gear

Congrats on your new river ride that is always an exciting time WEE HAA! Have a great evening and keep it right side up.

Renee
Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote