Old 06-24-2014   #1
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Colorado Wiggy's Fans

Thanks to MountainBuzz, I found the best sleeping bag in the world is made right here in Colorado... Wiggy's from Grand Junction. Testimonials are fantastic! Add me to the growing list of fans. Next month, I will be in Grand Junction shooting a promotional video for Wiggy's, showing the factory and why their sleeping bags and other products are the best. I'm looking for Wiggy's fans who want to briefly share their experiences on camera. If you're in Colorado & want to be in Wiggy's video, please send me a PM...will be looking for enthusiastic people available in late July. Sorry, not a paid gig... but you will have the satisfaction of sharing your Wiggy's experience with others.

Colorado Photography:
tommycolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #2
GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I was a Wiggy's customer, once, briefly.

The bag performed poorly for it's intended/advertised use, so I took it back to Wiggy to discuss options. His response was anger, fury, intimidation, to the point where it became obvious he had no idea there was any *other* way to respond. His loyal minions in the building all cowered and averted their eyes as he shouted his outrage at me, clearly used to such tirades.

I gave that bag to a friend and moved on.

Just my $.02.

mikesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #3
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
out of all the good stories, there's bound to be someone who didn't have a good experience... but what exactly was the problem you had with your bag?
Colorado Photography:
tommycolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #4
Jenks, Oklahoma
I read a lot of stuff about Wiggy's sleeping bags and other products.

Some bad most good.

I found out about Wiggy's sleeping bags some time ago. Ordered the FTRSS two bag system. Got my bags and tested on a Sunday. Could not get the zippers to work like I thought they should. Took a picture and emailed it and what was going on to the Wiggy's web site email info address. Within the hour I had a response from Wiggy himself and he was right.

Had another question on boot size. Same thing sent in email. Got a email asking for my phone number. Did that and immediately got a phone call from Wiggy who helped me order the right size and it fit perfectly.

Since then I have purchased a number of products from Wiggy's web site. I am super happy with all of them. Have chatted with Wiggy on the phone a number of times.

Always professional with me. Even invited me to the factory for a tour next time I run west water.

Bottom line, I have a number of his products and am satisfied with all of them. The fact they are made in Grand Junction CO by Americans means a lot to me. Wiggy may have been mean to some others, however to me on a bunch of sessions he has been just fine. What other CEO answers emails on weekends and helps customers get questions answered. On the plus side while most CEO's are moving production off shore looking for cheap labor. Wiggy on the other hand is keeping jobs going in Grand Junction CO.

My experiences with Wiggy and his products has been positive and his products work as advertised for me. If someone wants a warm sleeping bag this is the one that works. These sleeping bags do not stuff into a loaf of bread sized package for sure. On the other hand, toss em in your washing machine when ever and they come out just fine and they insulate well even when wet.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #5
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I've been using them for over a decade and like mine a lot. I have both lightweight summer bags and a pair of the UltimaTule (?) (zero) bag. I find them roomy, easy to clean (front load washer, hang to dry), warm and durable. Had one that after 12+ years lost some of its loft and Wiggy's replaced it. Some loft will always be lost, so I was happy he did that. They're not as "compact" as some others, but they work well. Yes, buy American.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #6
cedar city, Utah
The only sleeping bag that if you don't like it, you have a perfectly good anchor.

They are a bag ideal for rafting and car camping when space and weight are less of a concern. They do seem to take abuse better as there materials are anything but gossamer (they are 70d while my latest 3 season is 10d)

Their temp ratings are bunk and unverified by third parties. I only trust the EN rating anymore and Wiggy has not gone this way (bucking the industry trend). I admire stubborn entrepreneurs but also value having a reliable metric.

Their claims of benefiting from constant washing seem to fly in the face of every facet of synthetic materials I know of. I mean the "lamilite" he uses is just a slightly different version of an industry standard, if not a little old. Most treatments of synthetic fabrics eventually breakdown over time and washing chemicals/soaps are some of the harshest elements on materials (though an occasional necessary evil). Once again it would be interesting to see the claims hold up to third party testing.

Cold when wet? Blah. Flies in the face of science. Water's properties mean that when a bag absorbs any (less still means some) that it will utilize my body heat to vaporize. And a considerable amount of heat at that. Having been on both synthetic and down bags that were wet from rain I can say.....both left me cold. Once was a wiggy. Multiple days of cold and rain don't benefit any fabric that I am aware of no matter how hydrophobic (even my waterproof jackets is cold to the touch and loses heat to conduction).

The greatest benefit....they are cheap. Real cheap in an industry that is getting extremely expensive at moments. The warranty is hit and miss it seems. Depends on the day you catch him on but at least some people walk away with lifetime replacements when most manufacturer's only guarantee a product for a year or so.

Myself....neither a hater or lover. More of "meh" after extensive field use. If I ever needed another cheap beater bag I would consider them but I have plenty of synthetic bags that already meet that criteria. Then again, I do tend to stray from business owners who publicly cite Ayn Rand and Heritage Foundation in their company blogs and newsletters; I don't seek out a company's political ideology most times but I do struggle when its incorporated into their website and info. I'll stick with companies that aren't wrapped up in political rhetoric.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #7
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2003
wyoming wiggy's fan

0deg bag and 20deg over bag = -40deg bag for winter camping. 0deg bag for car camp. 20deg bag for kayak overnight/light backpacking.

for less than 300$ (well that is what i paid 6 years ago) you can do all these things and stay comfy and dry doing them.

this bag combo has worked awesome for the past 6 years and is still going strong.

and when you and your special someone go camping the bags zip together!

high five wiggy's
swig_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #8
Custom Whitewater Equipme
Central Point, Oregon
I and the wife have used Wiggy's bags for over 15 years and can't imagine going with any other product. After much trial and era we now own about every bag they sell. We have settled on a system that we use two square bags of different weights. The benefits include: easily zipping together, both people have their own zipper so you don't have to crawl over each other to get in and out, and you can choose which bag goes on top based on the nights temp.

I will say that the degree rating is inconsistent in different models. I certainly would not want to spend a 0deg night in my old mummy but the 0 deg square bags are so hot that we went to the two weight system.

Keeping in mind these are rafting bags and not mountaineering bags, even though we boat all year we don't have many 0deg nights.

Wiggy is an interesting fellow and I have found him to be very reasonable. mikesee, I dont know you, your situation, or anything about your interaction so this is not addressed to you... If someone goes in guns blazing and demanding refunds or replacements I would not be surprised they would be severely disappointed. He is not a salesman and spends his time in the factory managing the business.

I have been very satisfied with their products and am a dealer here in Southern Oregon.
May the water be under your boat and the wind at your back.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #9
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I bought a Wiggy's about 10 years ago and have never had a worse sleeping bag. Lumpy, uneven, lame zipper baffle. I kept it for a pet bed. I have tried and liked pretty much every other bag I have ever tried. I really wanted to like it too.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I've owned a Wiggy's bag for about 10 years now. Not a bad bag at all for the price that you pay for it. Shoenfeld hit the nail on the head about the zipper baffle being lame though. I like the fact that it's made right here in Colorado and that was my main reason for buying it.

Floaty73 is offline   Reply With Quote