Mountain Buzz banner

CLR

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Panama Red 
#1 ·
Any of you raft builders out there have preferred CLR that you like working with on 1.25 T6 schedule 40?

M3B Die Set - 1.660” OD (4.5-180) 1 1/4” Pipe 4.5 clr

M3B Die Set - 1.660” OD (5.5-180) 1 1/4” Pipe 5.5 clr

And no I dont wanna buy a rivertech or a canyon, or a rogue

#3 ·
All depends on what kind of pipe you are running and how much flat deformation and elongation stress you are willing to accept. It also comes down to wether you are using a cheap machine or the 200k Nissin we use. Die travel speed, Die contour, Follower composition,how long the aluminum has been sitting and at what temperature it was stored at,wether you have certs on it or you are buying junk load from the metal store.
Curious to see what you are cobbling on though.

Most of all raft builders don't bend pipe they weld fabric so may be better off asking a frame builder who wants to share info for free.

#4 ·
Do you have both dies or looking at buying one or the other?
I think most shops for the 1.5 are using 6.5 and not the 5.5. If you have access to both I'd just bend up a few scrap pieces to see if the 4.5 is going to deform the pipe. If not I'd just go with 5.5.
I've also been looking at buy a JD2 bender. How do you like yours and have you bent any bigger 3036 1.5 with it?

#5 ·
I use a 4.5 CLR on a 210* die, 1 1/4". Works great. Rotary draw machine and phenolic followers for the aluminum. Electric over hydraulic powered. Pretty standard equipment for roll cage fab. Previously used 7.5 for years before that, standard electrical conduit radius, deformation on either is not a problem. Go for it, and have fun.

#6 ·
I prefer the 4.5" CLR. You may need to anneal the 6061 in order to get it to bend without breaking (775 degrees F for 4 hours then cool at 50 degrees per hour). Your "cheap" bender will do just fine.

Don't worry about GreenWall, he always finds a way to belittle something or some one with every post he makes!

#9 ·
I would suggest 6063 T6 if you're going to be bending. Buy the electric over hydraulic if funds allow. The air is cheaper but loud, slow, and requires quite a volume of air. You will have to factor in the cost of a decent compressor if you don't already have one.

#18 ·
Greenwall was not being a smart ass. He is reaching out and you cut off his hand. And you and GC can't figure that out. I find it sad that your outlook is so negative. Good luck with your life endeavors.

#19 ·
If you want to get technical I would say someone that welds pvc and the like would be a raft manufacturer. It was pretty evident nastysauce was talking adout people that own rafts and build frames for their raft

Dirtbag, Greatwall is always belittln' someone at some time. He does not give anything away for free. There is always a price to pay, That price is usually us reading his failure to dazzel with briiance so baffle with bull shit comments.

Oh and see if you can copy mine

Spell check for english teachers

#20 ·
It also comes down to wether you are using a cheap machine or the 200k Nissin we use.
Hey DirtBag, this is what is belittling. Everything GreenDoll has or does is better than anyone else. In this little quote he is touting his $200,000 dollar pipe bender and taking a dump on a quality tool that doesn't require a trust fund to purchase. Pretty lame and all too common with the GreenDoll.

#21 ·
Just depends on what you are doing with the tool. I wasn't sure if he was planning on building thousands of frames or just building a few in which case buying the tools is a complete waste of money and time. A monkey can run a tool,its all the other stuff like experience and knowledge behind it needed as well. And also the 2 machines operate totally different with different skill sets required. I never took a dump on or said you couldn't scratch out something with primitive tooling, electricians do it all the time. I would love it if every machine I needed cost 50 bucks! Its getting way too busy here now to babysit you girls, have fun I have 7 days a week until June booked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.