Old 05-10-2014   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Clifton's Vs Stbond for Hypalon

I just got a new Hypalon raft and the repair kit came with Stabond. I am in the process of attaching some D-rings and foot cups and I have always used Clifton's Hypalon adhesive for rubber boats. Does anyone have an opinion on the two and which one is better for a rubber raft. I have always used Stabond for PVC and Urethane.

Whitewater Spoon
jspoon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #2
Bellvue, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Go with the clifton's. Both work, but the stabond wont expand and contract at the same rate as the hypalon which will cause an eventual fail of the patch. Two things to note; one dont let NRS talk you out of the catalyst for the cliftons, they make it for a reason! Two, if you are ever attaching plastic to rubber, like a rub strake or a thwart mount use stabond. The clifton wont adhere to the plastic.

Spaceghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #3
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I talked to Hyside about this question yesterday. The Stabond comes in their kit since part of their rafts have a urethane coating. He also said he likes stabond for hypalon-hypalon patches/d rings etc but did admit that the Clifton 2 part hypalon adhesive was also good. Just told me to stay away from any one part system such as shore adhesive unless on the river for a temporary repair.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #4
Paddling Since: 1994
Both glues are excellent for Hypalon. Stabond will work well for hypalon to hypalon, as long as its done right. Stabond may not expand and contract at the same rate as hypalon, but stabond will stretch several hundred percent before it breaks so it would be news to me if stabond patches that were well set fail. I have stabond patches that have been on my hypalon boat for a decade or more after many many inflates,deflates, sun, snow, blah,blah, and have no sign of failure.

When I started the business I did a bunch of testing. Assuming there isnt extreme heat involved, both Clifton and stabond will delaminate the fabric before they fail if done right. Even Shore will make an excellent bond when properly applied. The key to any of the glues is proper prep and application. If the glue is spread to thick (especially shore), to thin, the material isnt buffed or cleaned well, failure is likely.

If you want to carry a glue that will work excellent for any material on the river you cant go wrong with stabond. Its all I carry on the water and what I use in the shop more than anything else. Since stabond sticks to the material and then to itself to make the bond you can fix anything with any material available when needed. Run out of hypalon and have to use your buddys PVC to patch a huge gash, stabond.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #5
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
What about Shore Adhesive? We have used it for river repairs before and it has always worked well.

Last night I put a new D-ring on my old hypalon Riken. Used the Clifton 2 part. Worked slick. Checked it this morning before heading to work and it looks like it is there for the duration now. I'll inflate tonight and check it once more.

DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #6
Salida, 81201
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks Zach,
It is great to hear from a pro.
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #7
Paddling Since: 1994
What exactly are you asking about Shore? Like I said in my previous post, shore is a fine adhesive for Hypalon as long as it is applied properly. The biggest problem people have with Shore is spreading it to thick or not prepping the material properly. Shore is tough to spread thin and even, especially if its not hot. If you are asking about shore as a fix all materials glue, it wont stick to PVC or urethane very well. If its all you had for a PVC repair you could limp out with low pressure but full pressure would likely cause failure. I highly recommend Stabond as your on river glue.

Nice work on the d ring, a well set clifton patch will definitely be there for the duration.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote