Old 10-26-2014   #1
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
cleaning PFD

I wonder what is a good way to clean stains off my PFD ? In particular, mine is stained where my chin apparently brushes against to top edge. Last time I pulled it out of storage, some mold was actually starting to grow there. It cleaned off easily, but the stain remains. It's pretty yucky. I searched some, and people talk about stink; but odor is NOT the problem with mine.

Also, I'm not sure how careful you need to be with harsh cleaning solutions that might possibly damage the fabric. That would suck. (FWIW, it's a yellow Extrasport HiFloat).

jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You need a different PFD, one with black around where your chin will come in contact with it, or one that your chin doesn't come into contact with.

I've got a similar Extrasport hi-float yellow and (now) black PFD out in the shed that sounds exactly like yours. starting with mild soaps, then moving to laundry soap, I tried and never could get that nastiness to go away. I don't even like using it as my spare because it's so nasty looking but can't bear to retire it for good...

If someone's got a solution, I can't wait to hear it as my most recent PFD is starting to get the grunge.

Good luck,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #3
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Skimmed through here Learn at NRS didn't see PFD specific but it may be in there... lots of gear cleaning, storage and care tips. I've found that an email question to most manufactures gets a good response for these types of questions.
I saw some commercials mid Sept. after Parkdale/Gorge on the Ark dunking PFDs and wet suits in a bleach water barrel. I was surprised about the PFD dunk and asked the answer was end of the year storage dunk.

Learn at NRS
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #4

My Hi-Floats have gotten that way over the years. I concluded that it was due to my chin and neck rubbing oily sun lotion on the fabric.

While not completely successful, ample application/reapplication of liquid laundry soap, a medium brush and lots of rinsing seems to get most of it off.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #5
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I use a 2 part to washing mine. 1st vinegar and water with a blue scrub brush and then a pinesol water mix to dip in. Repeat as neccasary
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Dawn dish soap. Fully biodegradable and useful for cleaning more things than you might think.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #7
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Car Wash
Why does Pluto walk on all fours, drink from a dog bowl, and get treated like...a dog, while Goofy drives a car, wears clothing, and speaks in English?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #8
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
Try a mild ammonia solution. It got some nasty grease related stains from an old coat of mine....

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #9
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I gave my Green Jacket a scrub with laundry soap and a little water, rinsed in white vinegar solution and finally fresh water, and hung it to dry after the summer this year. It's faded, but it looks (and smells) almost new. Then for $12 return shipping Astral put new foam in it!

The only problem I have with my "new" 2009 Green Jacket now is the label is getting pretty worn and I have to pass Alvin's inspection at Westwater at least once a year. A good PFD can last a long time if you take good care of it.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014   #10
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
I use a side loader washing machine with a small amount of laundry detergent. I let it air dry. Most importantly, make sure all of the buckles are coupled. All have lasted me for the last 10 years and use the float test on the one I use at the beginning of the year.

idahoriversrat is offline   Reply With Quote