Old 08-16-2010   #11
Paddling Since: 1994
that 14' avon adventurer will be awesome. dont worry about avon d rings. the patches are what give out and the way avon sews theirs in is bomber. i just worked on a 1974 avon last week. the thing is still in pristine shape with no delamination, they just wanted a couple more d rings. the ones from 74 are holding up fine. not that the workers, material, or construction are the same from 74 but avon has been making boats forever and doing an awesome job at it. i put a bunch of d rings on a new 16' 2010 avon a couple months back and it has been a long time since i have seen a hypalon boat that cosmetically perfect. attention to detail is rediculous. definitely no 10 year olds building those things. i think their new boats have a 12 yr warranty but it will be the last boat you buy if you care for it right. i havent had much experience with their customer service besides ordering d rings. seems kinda silly but another thing i really like on the new avons is the valve placement and they do roll like a dream. if you spring for the avon you wont be sorry.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #12
Salt Lake City, Utah
I've got a 13 '9" Hyside. Had it for 10 years now. Have done 5-7 day trips, (most of the desert rivers) many, many runs on the payette's, oar frame. I have a nice everything bag, drop bag, and can usually carry at least three passengers when fully loaded. The past weekend, put in the two thwarts, and did a fun paddle run on the Green (split mountain). Very versatile boat. Have run a lot of low rivers. Never had to patch, still looks very good. It will outlast me for sure, and then my daughter will get it. All of the boats mentioned will last longer than you. The Aire may not be the best choice for desert rivers. Purchase what feels right for you. They are all great boats.

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #13
reynoldsburg, Ohio
Paddling Since: 1980
Thanks for input Zach. I am going to get the Avon. Now the challenge is to catch one on sale like Alex recommended and I will wait for them to go on sale, even 10% is a lot of money . Thanks everyone for all the valuable information.

Great to have a media to get this type of information.

riverunnerjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #14
C. Springs, Colorado
Congradulations on your choice Jerry. You will not regret getting an Avon. All the other brands wish they could be as good.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #15
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Agree with everything everyone said but I've been rowing Avons since 79' and, well, I'm an old Volvo fan too . . . . I would say that Avons are not as nimble as, say, Maravia, Sotar, Aire and other non-hypalon boats, which are stiffer (and harder to roll). My Pro is a tank. BUT, some seasoned vets I know will tell you, a stiff boat ain't necessarily good. Hypalon boats flex, which can save your bacon in the big stuff. And, the new Avons are not the same as the old. Still great quality, but they changed the fabric some, many say for the better. Who knows . . . I tend to go with the proven deal, and I've seen Avons from the 70's still on the water. Hard to argue with that. Seems to me Avons hold their value too. The Avon company builds motor vehicle "tyres" in Britain and started building inflatables during WWII for the British Navy. The boats are still made in Wales. Talk to Clavey. All the brands you mentioned are good quality these days (compared to what it was 20 years ago when ONLY an Avon will do) but people still "gawk" when they see an Avon on the water.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #16
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by riverunnerjerry View Post
Thanks very much for you input Alex. It is a tough decision for sure. Customer service and support of a product is also very important to me.
If these things are important, steer clear of Sotar. They think customer service means being so much of hassle that people will give up on getting the warranty work done.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #17
Grand Junction, Colorado
Clavey sometimes has "show boats" for sale in the Spring, and they also put demos on sale from time to time. Triple AAA in Denver pushes some through on sale from time to time. If you want a 16' Pro there is one on NRS GearSwap in California.
Old 08-17-2010   #18
reynoldsburg, Ohio
Paddling Since: 1980
Buckcoff,thanks for sale information. Last year Clavey had a sale of 15% off avon boats and kind of watching them . Never heard of AAA but will look into them. 15% off a 5300. boat is big savings. Thanks Jerry
riverunnerjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #19
Paddling Since: 1975
I am looking for the same type of boat to use in swiftwater rescue, don't know which one would be better in silty muddy flood water with lots of submerged logs and trees, need something that is puncture resistant and multi purpose. We will only get one chance to buy a boat so we have to get the right one the first time. Any input is appreciated.
handlebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #20
Grand Junction, Colorado
Good luck Jerry. Adventurer is a good versatile and stable boat. I had one for about 4 years but switched back to the Pro because I like more room, including the ability to sleep on it. Also run some big water from time to time and, well, the Adv felt a little small in places (grin) but mostly it was just having more room on the boat. Of course, if it's really big water I take the dory . . . . but that's another story. Buena suerte!
PS Avon also has a 15' Expedition model that is a compromise between Adv and Pro. I would have gone there but found a used Pro for the right price.