Old 01-31-2013   #1
Golden, Colorado
Choice on new raft purchase

So what a hard life...the million dollar questions, whats the next raft purchase. Recently I was given permission to start looking for a new raft this season. Our goals and objectives have changed as with our new perspective of how what we are looking for out of a raft.

Currently we own a Hyside Mini Me with a Riverboat works frame and a 14SB Saturn (not looking for a any comments about the boat just stating what we have, and to answer the question which one we are going to get rid of, it will be the saturn. It has served us well and got us back on the river. We have started taking our neices and nephews on the river and now that we are starting to get above class III with them the entrapment issue are become more prounounced to myself. Maybe is my old age or that its not my drunk high school buddy that could be held under in the raft but I am not whilling to have that risk with them. Like I said above not trying to start a whole other thread on this just giving the back story...)

So the boat in question:

Super Puma
RM 12 Footer with frame

What we are looking for: a raft that can be R2 on some tight creeking and can be rowed on some smaller tight river with a frame. A raft that can be fun with a 4 -5 adult paddle crew and could do some overnights with backpacking style if we were getting adventerous.

I have always wanted a Puma due to reputation, design warranty, but I am worried it will be two much like the mini me. If it can do it all great but I think it might be two small. So the Super Puma came up...but then I dont have a frame setup that will fit on it so the price starts to get up there when you talk about adding a frame. Then I saw the deal on the RM winter deals with boat and frame. I saw the new RM raft and last years Gauley Fest and was impressed but have never been able to raft them. The Puma line is tried and true, so those of you that have rafted both what are your thought. Obviously I understand they are different type of design and bladder system and all that but how do the RM hold up to the hysides or tributary. They also have a decent warranty for the price.

Just to add we will be using this on rivers in the east this spring, upper lower yough, new, gauley, french broad ocoee, chattooga and then plans of relocating to the west in the spring. Were to in the west depends on were my wife and I get relocated for work so thats all up in the air.

Thanks long post but thanks for all the input

gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #2
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
if you are keeping the mini me, don't get the puma,

super puma or RMR 12' should be ok to R2, take 4 to 5 paddle and do frame with light overnight type gear for 2 peeps. Cost and repairabiltiy will be the big difference, aire boats are the easiest to repair in the field and least time to get on water at full pressure after repair but the boat costs a lot more. If the easy of repair issue and american vs import does not concern you, the answer is fairly clear. The RMR raft is a bit more in weight too if 2 person portaging is a concern.

I however, am looking for a PUMA my self. If anyone has a good used one with aire floor, let me know.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #3
Golden, Colorado
Cataraftgirl had a decent in between with the outfitter 11.8
Old 01-31-2013   #4
Golden, Colorado
Raft utopia

I wish there was a raft heaven or museum or something I could go to that had all rafts that I could sit in and touch and play with. Like an autoshow or rv show. Something I could walk around and look at rafts with beer...
Old 01-31-2013   #5
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
I would go an AIRE boat as the 10 year warranty kills it. The super may be your best bet. Does great r2in but may get a little cramped with 5 people but will still work depending on the size of the individuals. All we do for the most part is r2 and we love the 130D. Although it seems much bigger it can go most if not all places a super can go an has more stability and room for extra people. The super does give you a better thrill in easier water though. Hope this helps
Dan McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I would consider the aire 130 e.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #7
Jenks, Oklahoma
Super Puma's are hard to beat for adaptability and construction.

Easy to R2 or as a paddle raft

Awesome fun with a rower and two paddlers up front.

Put a light weight frame with oars and it can handle two people and gear for 7 days on the Middle Fork or Yampa not a problem.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #8
Golden, Colorado
I agree about the 130d and e but man does the price just keep rising I was just able to talk boss (wife into 3$) and that was actually telling her 2$ and was just going to push to 3
Ski It, Raft It, Drink It
Loveland, Clear Creek, Coors
Old 01-31-2013   #9
Jenks, Oklahoma
I agree on price as well

If you buy everything new on almost any size raft, by the time you get it on the river you might as well be buying a car. Then there is the question of a trailer which leads into buying a powerful tow vehicle depending on size.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #10
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991

Good price on a new 13' trib? Aire website has the 130e in hotdeals for about $3300

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote