Chinese Cataraft Tubes? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-30-2016   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Chinese Cataraft Tubes?

Looking to get myself a cat that can be used for southwestern rivers and switch between being a fun/daily style and for week+ trips including GC. Would be rowing it on Cataract this October ideally.

Came across what seems like a great deal on a set of tubes and a topcat frame. The price is right and would have me on the water for ~$2k but I'm worried the tubes are junk and can't seem to find anything quite like them online, including alibaba. Anyone familiar with these things? Worth bothering with for a bit and then selling to upgrade? Only 2 air chambers and the light PVC isn't super confidence inspiring.

Here's the listed specs:

- 16' long; 25" diameter tubes
- 38oz pvc
- 2 separate air chambers on each tube
- Leifield C7 type valves
- TOP: solid blue 0.9 mm PVC
- BOTTOM : tougher black 2.0 mm PVC
- welded air seams
- welded D-rings
- 16 D-rings (4 outside each tube; 4 inside lower each tube)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00G0G_9rXI9A7y0a7_1200x900.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	12267  

giegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016   #2

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
A little extra $$ for a ton of extra confidence. Just sayn'

16ft Aire Jaguarundi Cataraft - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap
Managan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #3

Knoxville, Maryland
Paddling Since: 1978
Hi geigs,i bought a set of Chinese made oddessy 14 ft x25 in tubes..I've put a hundred miles on them ,lots of skinny water,thougyt honestly that I was gonna rip it to shreds... however not also a mark on er.Paid 1000.so far so good..I simply can't afford top of the line tubes..but they seem to be fantastic so far..pat
Pat Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #4

Awesome, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Knight View Post
Hi geigs,i bought a set of Chinese made oddessy 14 ft x25 in tubes..I've put a hundred miles on them ,lots of skinny water,thougyt honestly that I was gonna rip it to shreds... however not also a mark on er.Paid 1000.so far so good..I simply can't afford top of the line tubes..but they seem to be fantastic so far..pat
We have the same set of Chinese-made Odyssey tubes and we're starting to have a lot of issues with seam leaks and delams... tubes are about 8 years old at this point. YMMV, just FYI
climbbd510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #5

Knoxville, Maryland
Just so I can sleep better on my birthday...climbd510..how long did you have oddessy tubes before you started having the issues you mentioned?and how hard do you run er? Just tring to figure out what and wen I may need to pay attention to..thx
Old 08-31-2016   #6

Awesome, Colorado
Quote:
Just so I can sleep better on my birthday...climbd510..how long did you have oddessy tubes before you started having the issues you mentioned?and how hard do you run er? Just tring to figure out what and wen I may need to pay attention to..thx
Really started happening this year; we noticed that our tubes weren't holding air as well overnight on multi-day trips and discovered that the seams around the nose cones weren't holding together. We are thinking of sending the tubes to RaftFix over the winter to have them thoroughly looked over and patched as needed just for that so-important peace of mind when on the river.
Old 08-31-2016   #7

Awesome, Colorado
Quote:
And happy birthday!
Old 08-31-2016   #8

Knoxville, Maryland
Climb. What's the biggest water you had that cat thru?how tall oar towers you have?
Old 08-31-2016   #9

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbbd510 View Post
And happy birthday!
climbbd510, would you send a web inquiry to my website odysseyrafts.net ?
I would like to see pictures of what you are describing.
floatforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #10

Awesome, Colorado
Quote:
Climb. What's the biggest water you had that cat thru?how tall oar towers you have?
Mostly class 3/4+ stuff around here: Royal Gorge, Browns Canyon, Wastewater, Shoshone.

Not sure why it matters for this discussion, but 10" NRS oar towers on a 66" wide frame w/ NRS flip-seat mount and 10' SGGs.

Tags
cataraft