Old 02-19-2015   #11
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
In the case of cam straps, you get what you pay for. My Strapworks straps failed quickly, basically disintegrated in the UV in the matter of a few years. I still have functioning NRS straps that are over 20 years old. TRS straps are bomber.
What types of webbing were the Strapworks and NRS?

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015   #12
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
I actually really like new river straps, which I understand are salamander, but i prefer to go to a store and get them. Just the fast food american in me I guess. I know HF are garbage, but in the six or seven seasons I have been running them I have had zero failures. I know they're weak, so if its a critical point I slap two on there. They're so cheap I just keep going back to them. I cut off the excess import webbing and buy cheap buckles and stitch even more straps. They're inferior in every way...except for cost. In the last several seasons I have had multiple failures from new river and nrs webbing rotting and snapping, and I have also seen some smashed cascade outfitters buckles.
Sounds like you understand the weaknesses of them and have made the best decision for yourself. Some people don't investigate QC and SWL which can cause catastrophic issues in the field. I had especially seen that in canyoneering. But it sounds like you have thought through it.

Definitely haven't seen anything cheaper than what you are describing at HF. Hope they continue to meet your needs.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015   #13
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
back when I was a poverty boater.......

But seriously when I had a $200 bucket boat and frame and needed some straps for multi day rigging and life's circumstances prevented my from paying retail for anything I called Ancra and got the name of a nearby wholesaler. I called them and bought a couple hundred 1" cam buckles. I think they ended up being a quarter each.

Then I bought some webbing wholesale from another source. I took it all to the materials lab at the college and tested a bunch of sewing methods and the material itself. The good ol box with an X in it with a quality thread always held as long as the webbing did, which never broke below 1500lbs.

SO I sewed up a bunch, probably averaged 75 cents a strap all said and done. They lasted a long time. I still have some in rotation 15 years later.

That also allowed me to carry a roll of webbing and a bag of buckles and simply cut and tie custom straps if I ever ran short.

You asked for cheap.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015   #14
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Poverty boater buys poverty straps. Nothing to see here.

Cheap. Must have cheap. Don't want quality gotta have cheap.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015   #15
Boise, Idaho
Excellent, thank you Jan. What kind of warranty do your straps carry?
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015   #16
Boise, Idaho
Since you all seem to have lots of money maybe you could donate some funds or straps to my project : )
Old 02-19-2015   #17
Arboles, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
strap warranty

All SNS products come with a standard 1 season warranty. It's hard to warranty straps based on how different people use them (you can't strap your gear to the leaf springs of your truck, drive out of Diamond Creek and expect them to NOT break). BUT - if a strap breaks, send the buckles to me, I'll replace the webbing - you just pay the shipping. We have never had anyone contact us about a buckle failure. Jan
Stitches 'N Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015   #18
Boise, Idaho
Sounds like excellent customer service to me...
Old 02-19-2015   #19
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have been buying gear from Jan for many years.
Most of it custom made to my design.
Never had anything fail for any reason.
Still using the original stuff expect it to last longer than I have left to raft
Always easy to work with and super fast on delivery
and because it matters to me all work done in Colorado by a long time resident of that Great State. When you contact her you talk to the person making the gear which is a big plus.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015   #20
pocatello, Idaho
Jan made me and my program some great custom stuff. Her materials are top notch.

Everyone is at a different stage in life concerning their acceptable balance between price and durablity. I'm glad I no longer have to sew my own straps and I can pay a craftsman to do it.

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote