Old 08-24-2015   #31
Strangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1978
Wow, 150 quart cooler, that is bigger than what I run in my jag and 15' round boat. Riding nice and high in the water with a beefy load. Does your passenger ride on the cooler? What size is your frame, and are those sport cat drop rails?

Rivertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #32
Strangeville, Idaho
Sorry, I missed your post that it was a sport cat frame, I take that it is 66" X 88".

Old 08-24-2015   #33
Yeah it is 66 x 88 and the wife rides on the paco pad. I'm guessing a total of 750 lbs of gear. Still very sporty loaded this way and I feel I could easily take another 100-150 lbs of gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Coloradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #34
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
I have experienced some stalling out with my cooler all the way forward. That's a lot of surface area contacting the face of a wave just as your tubes are at their lowest point on the wave.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I second this opinion. Mttodd and I vowed never again in the class 3+ to 4 water. About flipped us both on the selway in double drop. That said I enjoy having my beverages in front of me and my convertible module gives me an extra foot bar in the cockpit.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #35
Strangeville, Idaho
How long of oars are you running, and how do you like the width? Do you think you should have gone 5/8" plywood on the floor?
Old 08-25-2015   #36
I really like the width. It feels both stable and agile. I'm running 9 1/2 ft oars with about 6inches separating the the grips(a little farther apart than most people's setup). And yes I would use 5/8 in plywood if I did it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Coloradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #37
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I ran my 14 foot catarafts with a 66 wide NRS frame for many years. My set-up was similar to yours in the beginning. I rowed from a cross bar & seat, and had a large drop bag behind me for gear. I always had my cooler up front and can't recall any stalling problems with it being up front. I was always solo, so no passenger up front. Eventually I decided that I wanted dry boxes, and had Partner make two custom sized boxes for me. One 16 wide and one 14 wide. I had NRS make two skid guard floors for me. One for the captain's bay and one for the gear space between the large box that I rowed from and the small box in the back. The floor behind me, plus the drop bag, gave great support for gear bags. I used a AAA flip seat bracket that rested directly on the larger dry box to row from. The skid guard floors were super sturdy, with no flex at all. I attached them to the lower side rail of the frame with heavy duty cable ties and those babies wouldn't budge. They gave the structural support needed to off set the inherent flex of those NRS rails that I hated with a mesh floor. I can't tell from your picture whether you have a dry box in there somewhere? How are you feeling about the shorter depth of the lower side rails with the NRS sport frame? Looks like you have a solid set-up going on. Hopefully you will not be infected by the "tinkering bug" like I was and be changing stuff every season.

PS - I also used 9.5 ft oars

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote