Old 02-14-2012   #111
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by dipper
yeah the maxxons are 16' tubes, i'm trying to stay universal, 10' oars and hopefully going to modify the frame so i can remove a section for sport boating.
If you make the frame breakdown right in front of the rowers feet you can add 40" and three crossbars to make two bays in front for multiday (just riding on the tubes). A nrs yoke makes a nice footbar and frame member to allow this

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #112
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
in case u were interested in just how big a Raft can be...
The Great Raft was a gigantic logjam or series of "rafts" that clogged the Red and Atchafalaya Rivers and was unique in North America. It has been speculated that the trees in the jams were knocked down by an impact event.[1] It probably began forming around 11001200 AD.[citation needed]

The Great Raft grew faster at its upper end than the lower end decayed or washed out, leading to its peak length spanning more than 160 miles/250 km in the early 1830s. The raft, at one point, extended for 165 miles from Loggy Bayou to Carolina Bluffs.
Steamboat builder and river captain Henry Miller Shreve (17851851) began systematically removing the Great Raft, a task that was continued by others until the latter part of the 19th century. For his efforts the city of Shreveport, Louisiana, was named after him.

When Shreve began work the Raft was 8 miles directly below to 17 miles directly above Shreveport.[2]

Captain Shreve had removed the raft up to the mouth of Twelvemile Bayou in April 1835.[2] Shreve concluded this work in 1838, having removed the last impediment to navigation on the Red River.[2]

phlexicon is offline   Reply With Quote