Mountain Buzz banner

Cat Frame for more than one size cat

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  OldandBitter 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 12.5' Legend for day trips and maybe solo short overnights w/o much gear, to add to my 16' SB. If I really get into the cat thing I'd like to keep my frame options open to add a larger set of tubes for longer multi-day trips or add a passenger.

So if I get a Madcatr frame from Dave, how big can I go with the second set of tubes, assuming I ever go that route, and still use the same original frame, adding a cargo and/or passenger module? 14'? 15.6'? Neither, bad idea?

Thanks for advice.

#2 ·
It's tube diameter that will be the challenge. Make the "offset" from the downrails to the outer (oar lock) rail wider and you've got more flexibility. Length can be compensated for easily- just add a trailer frame for cargo. I started with a 13'x19" set of tubes- and upped it to 14'x23" a year later. No problem. Make sure that your outer rail is outside of the midline of the tubes and you're good. Also- use loop straps to secure the frame to your tubes and it is much easier to get things really buttoned down tight.

#3 ·
66" Long on my day frame for a 12' cat.
Great day frame and overnighter.

Add 2' cargo module to 12' (or 16') for 3 to 6 nights.

Or add two 2' cargo modules to 16' for GC.
Or 2' passenger module plus 2' cargo module to 16' for high water MFS, Selway etc.

If the diameters are close, you have a lot of flexibility for tube length.

I would prefer a welded day frame for strength and lighter weight,
but speedrail type cargo modules.
Fence store fittings and pipe give unlimited flexibility for length and drybox/cooler sizes. I can go out to the garage and change the size of the cargo modules in a half hour.

Flexibility is the key.
Everyone that has a 14' cat secretly wishes they had a
12' and a 16' AND a very flexible frame.

#4 ·
Thanks for replies and info.

Tube increase from 12.5' Legend (22.5") to a 15.5' ST or Legend (24") is only 1.5". Doesn't seem like enough diff but can ask Dave to allow some flexibility if necessary.

Width - am I giving anything up by keeping the larger set of tubes on the same width frame other than maybe limiting storage/dry box/cooler size, which may be a good thing? Would be nice to be able to use the same set of oars.

#5 ·
You could easily jump up- you may notice a little desire for shortening your oar towers- but if that frame has fixed towers you could compensate by dropping your oars in their rings slightly (hands a bit wider at rest). Rule of thumb- an inch shorter tower yields two inches more oar in the water.....so you won't see much difference in a 1 1/2" jump in tube diameter. Frame should handle that small a change no problem.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#6 ·
The same width so oars, dryboxes and coolers are all interchangeable.

Same seat module and just add cargo modules means your cockpit is always rigged the same. Always know where things are. Keep it simple.

Also with tight rivers you get a real good feel for the width of your boat and how tight of a spot it will fit. Don't confuse yourself by changing both length and width.

#7 ·
Ask dave and he will have the best advice. I use my frame made for my 11' legend when I run my hubby's 12.5' legend tubes. Works great.

I guess he'll say you can go up to 15' depending on tube size.

I take the 12.5' legend on 7 day trips carrying my gear and my share of group gear. It works great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#8 ·
Digging up my older thread for another question.

Dave says his standard frame width, at least for the 12.5 cats, is 36" b/w the tubes (and I think 68" b/w the outer rails (but could be 66", forgot)). I've heard of a little wider from some others such as Ted. And I've read of narrower here on MB.

Assuming I want to add a larger set, prob up to 16', is 36" b/w the tubes still the way to go or should I hedge up a little in size. I don't want to mess up the performance of the smaller cat. And since my torso is long and legs are shorter (I'm 6'1" with 32" inseam) I don't want the foot bars too wide apart.

Thx.

- Jon

#14 ·
I would get a frame for each. You won't be second guessing and you won't be sacrificing. I have tried doing what you are thinking of and it seems to always be a pain for me. The other thing about having multiple (complete) set ups is you can lend one to a friend and make a trip much more fun/easy as gear gets split with yet another boat. If you find that you do only need one frame and set of oars then you can decide which one is less important to you and sell that one.

Jim

#17 ·
Stick with 36". I now use our 34" wide frame when I run our 12.5' tubes. I expect we'll get a set of14' tubes in the near future and will use our 36" wide frame on those.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#18 ·
The frame I just put together a couple weeks ago on my one 16' is 41 wide and id say its perfect now, I was running 38 wide, both are 72 wide, the big factor is how well the yokes fit the tubes now more than the 3 added inches inside, the extra 3 inches is nice though , my other 16 has 36 inside but again the yokes fit well, its all about the fit

#19 ·
I purchased a DRE frame for a 14' cat, I up sized to 16' tubes for a Grand trip. The frame worked well for day trips (Browns-Upper C). I just added a trailer frame to haul gear for our Grand Trip. It's really nice to have some flexibility in the rigging. I'd rather have 2 frames, but would rather have a happy marriage. River Water Rapid Adventure Recreation
Water Water resources Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Recreation Vehicle

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.