Old 02-18-2014   #1
cat advice

I am a kayker looking t get into a Cat. I have limited rowing experience and I am draw to cats. I have been doing research on tubes. I have found some good deals on Sotar tubes. I was looking for some advice on these tubes. Thanks

joe hemelt
JJ1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #2
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
What advice are you looking for? Sotar cats are great, can't go wrong. 12-13 footers are good for day trips, bigger for longer trips with more gear.

Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #3
Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I started with the Aire Ocelot, owned it for ten years great all around boat, hauled gear, passengers etc. Insert a Maravia 12'/20", wow quick machine for day trips. Went to a Sotar 13'6"/23" Legend for two up day trips and solo overnights this beast ate big water. Currently on a 13' / 22.5" Sotar Legend, nice blend of speed/ quickness/maneuverability in steep water and carry capacity for solo Class 4+ overnight trips.

Recently been playing on the Aire Wave Destroyer 12', real fun, quick day boat !!!
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #4
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I like the fat tubes on the Maravia work cats
ahogenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #5
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Please tell us more about your target use. Something sporty, as a kayak "retirement boat", or fun for summer bloat and floats? Gear boat? Week long multiday boat? What is your price point?
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #6
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I am a kayaker at hart. But I have pushed cats down a number of rivers. Some things to think about are transportation and storage. You can throw a kayak on top of a car and put everything you need in a car trunk. With a cataraft, one could easily take up 1/2 the space in your garage and require a pickup with a trailer to get to the put in. Some PVC cats (maravia and aire to a lesser extent) like to be partially inflated and tend to take up more space in the back of the truck or on the garage floor. Others (like NRS) can easily roll up to the size of a big sleeping bag. Therefore you could get it in the trunk of a car and strap the frame to the roof. If you like the simplicity and ease of a kayak then you need to plan a cat setup that is simple too or you could quickly get overwhelmed with the parade of gear that cats or rafts can add. Just something to think about. good luck.
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #7
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Buy American, Buy Quality

Can't go wrong with Sotar or Aire tubes. Maravias are good too, but IMO, are over priced for what you get. A versatile size for most stuff is a set of 15-16' tubes/ around 24" diameter or so-good for multi-days, single day techy stuff... Many people seem to like the Sotar Legend tubes in smaller sizes as well. Keep in mind, cats don't have floors and so, have less carrying capacity than similar sized rafts. Overloaded cats are no bueno, so choose based on your realistic needs wisely.

Originally Posted by JJ1029 View Post
I am a kayker looking t get into a Cat. I have limited rowing experience and I am draw to cats. I have been doing research on tubes. I have found some good deals on Sotar tubes. I was looking for some advice on these tubes. Thanks
dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #8
The Go Light Guy
Joshua Tree, California
Paddling Since: 1980
Advice on cat tubes

JJ and others, feel free to shoot me a message with what you are looking to do with a cat or tubes you are considering. I'll give you my honest opinion. I've been running cats exclusively for 20+ years and have some of my own designs at Sotar. I'm a big fan of their boats and sell them as a rep. I like the Wave Destroyer type boats for what I do, that's why I designed the Rockette to have a lighter version. I do tend to run smaller boats though - our BIG one is 13 feet

nnikirk is offline   Reply With Quote