cast iron or anodized aluminum? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-31-2016   #21

Jenks, Oklahoma
Lots of reasons listed here for and against what ever .

I have been using dutch ovens for many decades.

Here is my experience

No way I can beat a well seasoned Lodge DO in cast iron for biscuits or cornbread. Due to weight and cleaning, I use cast iron when camping out of the truck.

I do have some pure aluminum DO's. I rarely use them. IE a square original Woody unit I picked up does work fine, I just use the GSI hard anodized units and scratch them, toss them around and they just keep on working like new.

When I discovered GSI hard anodized DO's they became my river tripping DO of choice. Mainly due to the ease of cleaning and weight savings. I have a York Box that contains two GSI 12's with a GSI 10 inside one of the 12's and a stainless steel mixing bowl in the other. Rest of the box has the various items needed for DO cooking.

I can do biscuits pretty well in the GSI units, corn bread ok just not the crust and top browning I get from Lodge Cast Iron. Cakes cook as good in GSI as they do in cast iron.

I do have a Rome unit. A great idea. Not made any more. The existing ones I see and have were cheap poorly cast made in China units. Rome manufacturing admits this. Having said that, well used they work well. The top cannot be beat used as a fry pan and it fits perfectly on two burners of my well used Partner Steel 4 burner. As mentioned I and others have communicated with Rome and they say they cannot justify cost to restart production. If some specialty company would make a GSI hard anodized quality copy, I would gladly pay the price for one.

I refuse to get into the this versus that argument when it comes to dutch oven cooking. In the right hands they all turn out delicious food. As my DO hero Cee Dub said at the clinic of his I attended in NM "any thing you can cook at home, I can cook just as well in camp in my DO". By the way in his clinic he uses a dream truck load of mostly Lodge cast iron but also has a few GSI hard anodized units he uses. Showed up in a big Dodge Diesel truck loaded with awesome DO stuff and food out the yeng yang. We cooked it all and ate same for several days. Including sourdough pancakes and bread lathered with butter we churned. Cee Dub's clinic are worth the money just to listen around the campfire to his tales of adventures on the middle fork, Idaho backcountry and his undercover field work.

By the way, I just got off a Ruby HorseThief layover day at Mee. 8 young boaters and 7 worn out adults had a ball. Fire Ban on open flames. At the last minute I purchased two of the Camp Chef stove top gadgets. Cooked an awesome brisket in one and baked spuds in the other. Did a cobbler that turned out good but bottom got a bit crisp. My opinion this thing works great for braising meats and baked taters anything raised up from the bottom of the DO with a insert. I got a lot of work to learn about cakes and baked goods tho.

Bottom line if you are a rafter, get at least one GSI anodized 12 and do not look back. Gain some experience at local dutch oven gathering AKA DOG and go after the entire gamut of stuff. I have a boat barn stuffed with more Dutch Oven stuff than I can ever use but it is fun to collect. If I could only have two dutch ovens they would be GSI hard anodized 12's.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2016   #22

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Can I get an Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Lots of reasons listed here for and against what ever .

I have been using dutch ovens for many decades.

Here is my experience

No way I can beat a well seasoned Lodge DO in cast iron for biscuits or cornbread. Due to weight and cleaning, I use cast iron when camping out of the truck.

I do have some pure aluminum DO's. I rarely use them. IE a square original Woody unit I picked up does work fine, I just use the GSI hard anodized units and scratch them, toss them around and they just keep on working like new.

When I discovered GSI hard anodized DO's they became my river tripping DO of choice. Mainly due to the ease of cleaning and weight savings. I have a York Box that contains two GSI 12's with a GSI 10 inside one of the 12's and a stainless steel mixing bowl in the other. Rest of the box has the various items needed for DO cooking.

I can do biscuits pretty well in the GSI units, corn bread ok just not the crust and top browning I get from Lodge Cast Iron. Cakes cook as good in GSI as they do in cast iron.

I do have a Rome unit. A great idea. Not made any more. The existing ones I see and have were cheap poorly cast made in China units. Rome manufacturing admits this. Having said that, well used they work well. The top cannot be beat used as a fry pan and it fits perfectly on two burners of my well used Partner Steel 4 burner. As mentioned I and others have communicated with Rome and they say they cannot justify cost to restart production. If some specialty company would make a GSI hard anodized quality copy, I would gladly pay the price for one.

I refuse to get into the this versus that argument when it comes to dutch oven cooking. In the right hands they all turn out delicious food. As my DO hero Cee Dub said at the clinic of his I attended in NM "any thing you can cook at home, I can cook just as well in camp in my DO". By the way in his clinic he uses a dream truck load of mostly Lodge cast iron but also has a few GSI hard anodized units he uses. Showed up in a big Dodge Diesel truck loaded with awesome DO stuff and food out the yeng yang. We cooked it all and ate same for several days. Including sourdough pancakes and bread lathered with butter we churned. Cee Dub's clinic are worth the money just to listen around the campfire to his tales of adventures on the middle fork, Idaho backcountry and his undercover field work.

By the way, I just got off a Ruby HorseThief layover day at Mee. 8 young boaters and 7 worn out adults had a ball. Fire Ban on open flames. At the last minute I purchased two of the Camp Chef stove top gadgets. Cooked an awesome brisket in one and baked spuds in the other. Did a cobbler that turned out good but bottom got a bit crisp. My opinion this thing works great for braising meats and baked taters anything raised up from the bottom of the DO with a insert. I got a lot of work to learn about cakes and baked goods tho.

Bottom line if you are a rafter, get at least one GSI anodized 12 and do not look back. Gain some experience at local dutch oven gathering AKA DOG and go after the entire gamut of stuff. I have a boat barn stuffed with more Dutch Oven stuff than I can ever use but it is fun to collect. If I could only have two dutch ovens they would be GSI hard anodized 12's.
If there were only 2 DO's left on Earth for me to buy, I'd hope they were GSI 12" anodized too!
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016   #23
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post

And yeah, I know, 10 dutch ovens. I have a problem but I don't care.
We all have problems pal, take a number.....

I have 7 aluminum ( all but one anodized) and three cast although I can't find one and might have given it to my brother.

Great to meet you at Cascade the other day.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016   #24

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Jerry,
It was good to meet you too!
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016   #25

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Anodized Aluminum! The weight savings is worth it. I love cast iron skillets but as far as the DO, the there is no benefit to baking in CI in my experience.

Now.... if you want to fry your bacon up in the DO too, then go cast iron. But you can't really fry much bacon in a 12" DO so I'd save the weight for the large CI skillet or griddle.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #26

Grangeville, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyphsyco View Post
Kind of related, I have an aluminum skillet. It is 5/16 or so thick , I only use it at home in the kitchen and everything sticks to it. Yes even when using no stick spray, oil what ever. I rarely use it anymore because it's always such a mess for my kids to clean up. I'd like to take it on overnights because of the weight but if it's hard to clean and I have to take the kids to clean it then screw it I'll take the weight hit of the iron to save what's left of my sanity. Any ideas, does it need a good smooth surface prep and cleaning after? Or just throw it away?
Get your orbital sander out and go to town until it is baby but smooth. Have done this for years with aluminum cookware and it works great. Treat it like CI and only wash with hot water.
RDW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #27

Carbondale, Colorado
Partner Steel

ordered a Partner Steel square 11" an. Alum DO, awesome
groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #28

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Looks like groovy made a great choice! We use the 12" Alum Partner and love it. It doubles as a griddle but more importantly as a cooking pot on the stove for big 18+ person trips.

Partner Steel Hard Anodized Dutch Oven 12" 10qt

Hint: Line it with foil if you are cooking sugary stuff like brownies and cleanup will take about 1 minute. I lay one pass left to right and the other top to bottom for 100% coverage and the kids fight over eating the brownie cracklins off it when we are done.
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #29

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
We used a Camp Chef 3 with a cast iron griddle for our Deso trip this summer and it got a lot of use. Was pretty easy to whip up breakfast and dinner on that monster.

Certainly not light but I'd do it again on another multifamily 5 day trip.

Chicken Fajitas for 18 shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAMP CHEF 3 FAJITAS.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	12087  
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote