cast iron or anodized aluminum? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2016   #11

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Six of one Half of another?

Get both. I have 10 Dutch ovens 5 aluminum and 5 cast iron.

I use aluminum for camping because of weight. Aluminum is 1/3 the weight of cast iron. Also, aluminum will not rust and doesn't need to be seasoned either. Many people claim that cast iron heats evenly but that is a myth. Aluminum is a much better conductor of heat and heats quicker and is not prone to hotspots and uneven cooking like cast iron. However, a cast iron dutch oven will store more heat than a aluminum pan or dutch oven. This lets cast iron sear foods better than almost any other material. This is probably cast iron's greatest advantage and makes a significant difference in taste. Another advantage about cast iron is it is very difficult to warp unlike aluminum.

I bought a un-anodized dutch oven by GSI years ago but it was so soft that it bent out of round and was oval. It was a lot less money than the anodized one. I ended up buying an anodized one. It was so awesome, I ended up buying 4 more over the years. The anodized is very hard and not bendy at all. Anodized won't chip and flake off in the food if you are worried about that. If you get aluminum get anodized.

And yeah, I know, 10 dutch ovens. I have a problem but I don't care.

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2016   #12

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post

I bought a un-anodized dutch oven by GSI years ago but it was so soft that it bent out of round and was oval.
I think you forgot to mention you drank to much and left it on the fire overnight
We have 3 aluminum dutch ovens, have had them for a really long time and have never had anything like this happen.

On the cast iron side, another benefit of cast iron in heat retention, is when you are cooking something that takes a real long time, with aluminum, you may have to add coals latter, but with cast iron a lot less. We have probably 10 various dutch ovens if you count home and camping as well!

My name is shap and I have a DO problem!
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #13

Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
Kind of related, I have an aluminum skillet. It is 5/16 or so thick , I only use it at home in the kitchen and everything sticks to it. Yes even when using no stick spray, oil what ever. I rarely use it anymore because it's always such a mess for my kids to clean up. I'd like to take it on overnights because of the weight but if it's hard to clean and I have to take the kids to clean it then screw it I'll take the weight hit of the iron to save what's left of my sanity. Any ideas, does it need a good smooth surface prep and cleaning after? Or just throw it away?
sammyphsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #14

Nampa, Idaho
Try seasoning it like cast iron.
Old 07-28-2016   #15

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I try by using more oil and less heat, or different kind of oil, oil with higher heat cooking capability.

It might just be the pan. I have had some cast iron skillets too that were just plain worthless.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #16

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
I try by using more oil and less heat, or different kind of oil, oil with higher heat cooking capability.

It might just be the pan. I have had some cast iron skillets too that were just plain worthless.
This works for me every time on cast iron or aluminum.

How To Season a Cast Iron Skillet — Cleaning Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

How to Season Cast Iron Cookware: 11 Steps (with Pictures)
Old 07-28-2016   #17

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Shappattack that looks sooo good, I did buy a Rome it is finally not leaking (had to get it welded) now I've got to try it out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #18

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovy View Post
I'm looking to purchase a dutch oven & have been researching the reviews/feedback on anodized aluminum vs. good ol' cast iron. Anodized aluminum is lighter & doesn't need seasoning, but I've heard it can still chip & is a bit less durable than cast iron. ?
I've had my anodized aluminum DO for over 10 years and have cooked in it, cut stuff up in it, scraped burned on crap out of it, even melted stuff in it that I practically had to dynamite out of it......no chips. I try my best to take proper care of it, but in the long run I use it and sometimes abuse it. It's durable as heck.
Old 07-30-2016   #19

Nampa, Idaho
cast iron or anodized aluminum?

Yeah, anodized is totally the way to go if you get an aluminum one. They develop a patina over time that makes them look darker and toasted!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 07-31-2016   #20

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We stopped bring our cast long ago. It is really hard to keep it from rusting on a river trip.