Old 05-27-2015   #21
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Originally Posted by tbduwyo View Post
Where did you get that giant bag? I will mostly do flatwater this summer with little kids and dogs, and I could use something like that. That seems like money better spent.

Stitches n stuff. Jan and her husband used to be part of Down River Equipment back in the day. Now she makes soft storage goods.

That pic shows this bag at maximum capacity. I carried the kitchen, six dry bags and a handwash system with buckets in this for a 14 person trip, in my 14' raft.

The quality is top notch, the service is remarkable. All my drop bags are from her as well.

Another bonus: she offered materials that matched my tan Sotar.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #22
NE, Oregon
Big fan of a 16"x16"x3" paco pad w/valve from JPW.

Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #23
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by Eagle Mapper View Post
Has anyone every tried a crazy creek chair on a drybox or cooler? I sit on top of the drybox but I have found myself out the back of the boat a couple times b/c I did not have some type of chair to stop my momentum.
I know a guy that does this and loves it. I like my AAA Captains Chair it puts me up high to see over peoples' heads, buy it now they're about 50 bucks more than they were 5 years ago... but thats a lot of river gear.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015   #24
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
First thing to go when up-side down

Originally Posted by tbduwyo View Post
I just bought a boat and am deciding on whether or not it is worth the ~$300 to drop on a captain's chair. I'm kind of leaning on being cheap, as I've never rowed in a captain's chair or on a padded drybox. I've only been on my buddies low back seat in his rig. Thoughts?
High back chairs are the first thing to go when up-side -down. A low profile seat or board is the most functional as well as the least cost.
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #25
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If bucks are tight and you do multi-day trips, an everything bag in the back will be a much more useful buy. Over time, you probably save the purchase price buying less NRS straps. I rig but often don't use a crazycreek. I run looking forward sitting on a drybox in my #4 bay, I run forward looking back sitting on my cooler in my #2 bay. On something like Upper C, Deso, Chama, RubyHT, with long flat I switch back and forth. When your everything bag gets to the point it provides back support, it's time to start minimizing some of the camping gear.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #26
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Home for Whitewater Rafting, Float Fishing , Kayaking Gear
Tuff River Stuff - Superior river and camping equipment and quality rafting equipment

top two sewingware vendors. If you start shopping with them, you won't have much money left for anything.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #27
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I bought the DRE Flip Chair a quite a few years back. I've rowed it on Flat Water San Juan trips , Westwater, Animas, Cataract at various levels and a Grand Trip. On the Flat water trips I think a Paco pad and some baggage on your back is more comfy. I can hang out and lounge more comfortably. All the negatives that people have commented on I agree. Puts you up too high. I had to buy taller towers. The flip seat does get in the way when at camp when I'm "shopping" in the cooler which hangs below my seat. A small inconvenience. When I'm pulling backwards downstream through big water the high back is great as it gives me more purchase, but it does worry me as it's another thing I could get hurt on. Now that my setup has been diamond plated my rig is pretty rigidly set, so I'm not in the mood to change it. But if I was to do it again I would forego buying the spendy Flip Chair and have a low back tractor seat mounted directly to the dry box. I've seen some that are on rails and can be adjusted for different rower's heights like a car seat.

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote