A shredder rolls as small as most duckies. A raft not so much... get the cat

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2016   #12
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Culebra. R-2, runs the meat well, funner'n shit to row, LIGHT, breaks down for flyin places
and packing in, and can self support at least shorter multi days. Plus the cargo slings can be a great place for friends to drink beer on a hot day! ( "Rescue Hammock")
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #13
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatin mucho View Post
On a recent deso/grey trip I watched some friends in the fully loaded paddle cat get surfed by a 20' wide recirculation feature.
So where is this 20' wide recirculating feature in Deso?
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016   #14

Indianapolis, Indiana
Custom Inflatables in WV has released more info on their paddlecat. 36lbs and starting at $1500, not bad.
Thriller | Custom Inflatables, Inc.
bellotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016   #15

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Full urethane bottom too! Looks like a sick boat, and if there's something you'd like changed...no problem.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016   #16

Post Falls, Idaho
I have a 16' boat for everything, and added a RMR paddlecat this year. I'm super excited about it as it allows me so many paddling opportunities. It's so easy to roll, and it fits in the back seat of my work car a Ford focus. It feels like pure simplicity compared to my big boat. It's super stable and never stalls just punches anything. Heck it even surfs R1, and it just jumps with the lightest input.

For me a 12' raft wouldn't give my the same freedom and simplicity. I wouldn't want to be rolling a 12' boat and that seems like a lot of boat for r2 as my paddle partner is usually one of my kids.

If you think you'd want to be bringing more than one other well then scratch the RMR off. But if that's what you would be primary doing its a blast, pure smiles. I've also got a rowing frame but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I do think that it would be very difficult to overnight with, could be done but it would be kayaker style for sure hopefully with the support of other boaters.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #17

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
I have a 16' boat for everything, and added a RMR paddlecat this year. I'm super excited about it as it allows me so many paddling opportunities. It's so easy to roll, and it fits in the back seat of my work car a Ford focus. It feels like pure simplicity compared to my big boat. It's super stable and never stalls just punches anything. Heck it even surfs R1, and it just jumps with the lightest input.

For me a 12' raft wouldn't give my the same freedom and simplicity. I wouldn't want to be rolling a 12' boat and that seems like a lot of boat for r2 as my paddle partner is usually one of my kids.

If you think you'd want to be bringing more than one other well then scratch the RMR off. But if that's what you would be primary doing its a blast, pure smiles. I've also got a rowing frame but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I do think that it would be very difficult to overnight with, could be done but it would be kayaker style for sure hopefully with the support of other boaters.
What made you decide on this vs. a Storm? I'm evaluating both and like the bigger cockpit/gear storage for Storm. I'm leaning that way, but always curious if there's some aspect I have not thought through fully. Probably overthinking it as they both seem like great boats.
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #18

Post Falls, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by denali1322 View Post
What made you decide on this vs. a Storm? I'm evaluating both and like the bigger cockpit/gear storage for Storm. I'm leaning that way, but always curious if there's some aspect I have not thought through fully. Probably overthinking it as they both seem like great boats.
I love the storm and do believe that it is more versatile than the paddlecat. If overnights are in the plan then that would be the way to go.

I had a few things in mind when I bought the paddlecat. First I wanted something to get some of the kids off my boat, it needed to be small light and stable. Also wanted the ability to row when I get a chance for after work runs... Our paddle cat functions mostly like an IK for us only more stable and fun. I have quite a few days on IK's and didn't really want to buy one. I like sitting up and across from someone. It is easily 2x more stable than an IK.

If you want something way more fun stable and versatile than a tandem IK then the paddle cat is it. If you want a small raft to do traditional raft duties just smaller then go with a Storm. IMHO

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 08-01-2016   #19

Post Falls, Idaho
I was working on an edit and ran out of time here's a few more thoughts.

I love the storm and do believe that it is more versatile than the paddlecat. If overnights are in the plan then that would be the way to go. There are buzzards that pull off big trips with the storm Cody did Hells Canyon and Spider ran the MFS, not gonna pull that off with a paddle cat unless someone is supporting you.

I had a few things in mind when I bought the paddlecat. First I wanted something to get some of the kids off my boat, it needed to be small light and stable. Also wanted the ability to row when I get a chance for after work runs... Our paddle cat functions mostly like an IK for us only more stable and fun. I have quite a few days on IK's and didn't really want to buy one. I like sitting up and across from someone. It is easily 2x more stable than an IK. I think it is bar none the best craft out there to learn on. I can teach my kids how to paddle and row. It's really forgiving and we have actually lapped rapids multiple times like a kayaker.

I also can't over state how forgiving it is on the water. It really punches and two big digs with the paddles and the boat just jumps. We R2'ed the Lochsa only swimming at the falls. It is however a bitch in a strong headwind when paddling, shouldn't be as big of issue when rowing.

If you want something way more fun stable and versatile than a tandem IK then the paddle cat is it. If you want a small raft to do traditional raft duties just smaller then go with a Storm. IMHO

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 08-01-2016   #20

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
When you say it is great to teach kids to row, do you mean while observing from an adjacent craft? I saw a RMR paddlecat at RBW two weekends ago and that cockpit was small. I could not imagine a second person being in the boat while setup with a frame. I think you could with the Storm.

It seemed like a complete blast, just not as flexible as a Storm or Mini-max would be.
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote