Old 06-23-2016   #1
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Cambridge fire pan cover

Looking for opinions on a good cover for the std sized Cambridge pan. Most of the ones I've seen are quite oversized. What do you like?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #2
Denver, Colorado
What's the cover for? Get a bag, I think the std size is the same as the NRS stove, their bags fit. Is there some other need for the cover?

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #3
Cover/bag....something to keep the pan from damage or from doing damage. The NRS appears to be several inches bigger from online dimensions. Cascade sells a Cordura one- the attached review says it's also oversized. I'd rather have more durable than Cordura-

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 06-23-2016   #4
cedar city, Utah
We use our fire pan cover to close off the fire at night as flushing it with water leaves a mess. It also allows us to carry some of the larger debris to burn the next night.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #5
St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Fire pan wrap

Tuff River Stuff fire pan wrap, no zipper to fail, tough truck tarp material, he can make any size you want but the standard sizes should work.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #6
+1 on the tuff river stuff wrap. It's quite expensive but you can tell right away it will last forever. Plus it's got a heavy duty rubber handle that makes hauling around the heavy pan a lot more comfortable than a webbing strap. I'd say it's slightly over-sized, but not by several inches. Just enough that you can fold up a fire blanket and some gloves in there and still close it up tight, which is just the right size to me. All of Ray's stuff is bomber. It's pricey, but you can tell the difference in what your money gets you versus some of the cheaper gear shops.
protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #7
Colorado Springs, Colorado
+1 on the tuff river stuff! Picked one up last year and it's a rugged simple design. Wraps the pan and you can store the fire blanket in it as well. I like how boat friendly it makes the 30lbs "iron fire anchor" for riding in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Rockgizmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #8
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I got my fire pan bag from Jan at SNS. She has them sized for the Cambridge fire pans or she'll make any size you need. No zippers & tough material.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #9
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
We recently updated our fire pan wrap! It is now made with PVC instead of the thick cotton duct. It is even sturdier and won't stay wet. So far we have gotten rave reviews on the new material, and our employees say it's even better than the old wrap.

On the subject of price, it's true, we do have to charge a little more for our gear... but we actually have a very small profit margin on the stuff that we make. That is simply because not only do we hand make everything right here in Salida, CO, we pay our employees a living wage, and we double up both the fabric and stitching on everything. (That's what makes our gear so tough!) All our mesh products are double walled, and all abrasion spots are reinforced. Twice as much material and time goes into every piece of Tuff River Stuff gear, because we want it to last as long as possible!

Anyways, here is a link to the new & improved Fire Pan Wrap if you want to check it out. Fire Pan Wrap (Better than a Bag) - Tuff River Stuff

TuffRiverStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #10
I was just on your site looking at that as you posted- Didn't realize you had one sized appropriately for the std Cambridge pan. I'll be placing an order. FYI- I have a bunch of your straps- custom. I love the workmanship, but your buckles are terrible. No gap for the strap end to get through. I end up re-melting the ends all the time to make them usable. Source a buckle with a deeper opening!