Old 01-28-2015   #1
Ellensburg, Washington
Buzz on Rocky Mountain Rafts?

I'm thinking about getting a RMR inflatable kayak. Does anyone have experience with their IK? Or experience with RMR gear in general? How does construction and material compare?

EastSideWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #2
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
In an effort to be helpful (and not obnoxious), if you use the search function and enter RMR (even just searching subject line mentions), you will see many threads on RMR in general and RMR IKs in particular.

(Sometimes I'll search on google and include "mountainbuzz" as one of the search terms -- very effective.)

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #3
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
like mentioned above there is a ton of info on here about RMR.. Most of it for the good. my brother, brother in law, and a friend all have their cats and rafts... they all love them.. What you will gather is they are well built, heavy, and have a good warranty... However I am yet to see any real helpfull info surface about their IK's.. I am interested in one and have been wondering the same thing.. I think they are working on a tandem that will be out this spring.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #4
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Their IK's look big and wide if that's what you like then good. if not you might look elsewhere. they don't appear to be maneuverable machines like the Aire Force or NRS MaverIK, but they appear to be well made IK's that can haul a lot of gear and be very stable in big water
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #5
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Interesting take on them, I've seen one Animas and I thought it was smallish, but it was one time. I have two friends with RMRs, and they both love them. Great looking, quality, a little heavy.
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015   #6
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Force is 9'6" X 36" X 10.5" tubes - MaverIK is 9'9" X 36" X 10.5" tubes and the Animas is 11'0" X 38" X 11.5" tubes. The Animas is definitely a beast compared, being over foot longer 2" wider and bigger tubes. Definitely going to perform more like a barge compared to the Force, MaverIK or a Thrill Seeker. Not to say its a bad boat, its just not one that I would get for my style, but depending on what style of boating you are in to, those are things to consider.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015   #7
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I had my hands on one for the first time this past weekend...almost bought it infact and would have if it was a little cheaper (it was a demo boat, and I had just bought another boat so I try to not buy more than 1 a year!). I didn't think it was extraordinarily large by any measure...ok, so it's 11 feet....but I have a 12ft ducky.

Construction and material seems pretty bomber...and it's pretty heavy for an ik as are all their boats, but I'd see no reason not to get one if you think it'll fit your needs.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015   #8
Paddling Since: 1994
It is a sporty enough design with the rocker to run technical stuff, stable enough to not dump all the time and big enough to do self supports. The bigger tubes help it sit high in the water so I think it paddles a little smaller than it is. I only have a couple of days in one but those were my takes.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote