Old 01-31-2015   #21
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
The system varies by river. The Rogue has a system, the Deschutes has a system, and the John Day has a system. There is a a ranger station on the Rogue most people utilize, and on the Deshutes there are businesses that are authorized to issue you the permits. The Deschutes is per person, and the cost is subject to what day of the week and what season you are paddling in. You can buy your Deschutes permit online, I do it both ways.
I prefer to purchase in Maupin. In 2013 I tried my best to arrange all of the little details, so I bought my permit the day before, for a total of 4 of us. The morning of the trip, my kids sister really wanted to join us, and so I said yes. Then I forgot that I needed get her a permit too, and it turned into a big hassle. Now I stop at the store when I get there and everybody is accounted for.
For rafts, the Sandy dries up pretty quick in the spring and summer. The Clackamas is runnable all summer, but gets pretty low for rafts. The Santiam is dam controlled, and they will not the cfs fall below a certain threshold (around 800 cfs at the Niagra gauge) to help the salmon out. We spend the majority of our late summer on the Santiam anywhere from Packsaddle park to Mehama. I don't do the Mckenzie a whole lot (didn't make it out there in 2014 at all) but it is really pretty around Paradise and Olallie. We camped at Olallie labor day 2013 and had a blast. There are great hikes, the Belknap hot springs, and other fun stuff to do there.

Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015   #22
Portland, Oregon
does Deschutes has limited number of boats per day,do i need to come there in morning to reserve a spot

Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015   #23
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I think they might have a limit, but I've never heard it get reached in Maupin. Keep in mind there are three sections, the other 2 w are camping sections that are limited and fill up in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015   #24
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Everything you've ever wanted to know about the Deschutes is posted here,
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015   #25
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Hello every one. getting close to buy a raft, have some deals,and some ?.do i need a permit on the upper and lower McKenzie river in Oregon or any other passes, also for N.Santiam, Clackamas,Sandy river and is there any other river close to Portland to raft with the family.thank you.
The one permit you'll need to purchase is the annual Oregon Invasive Species Permit for rafts 10' and over. They are $5. Tons of info here: OSMB Environmental Programs Aquatic Invasive Species Permit Program

The only rivers in the state that you need to pick up a permit in advance are the Deschutes, Rogue, John Day, and Snake in Hells Canyon. The info TriBri posted tells you all you need to know for the Deschutes. I've never had a problem getting on the Deschutes, but I always buy my permits in advance online. So easy to prchase, then print. The Rogue has a lottery for the summer boating season, and that lottery just closed 1/31, but cancellations are relatively easy to come by. The rest of the year is open. How to Get a Permit Oregon/Washington BLM
The John Day permits are required between Service Cr and Cottonwood during the late spring and early summer. Info is here:
Hells Canyon (Snake River) is part of the 4 Rivers Lottery for the peak season. Permit Area Facility Details - HELLS CANYON - SNAKE RIVER (4 Rivers), OR -

The rest of the rivers in Oregon should be completely open, however may have a self issue permit.

OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote