Bucket Boats - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2016   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Bucket Boats

Is there anybody out there that are still diehard bucketboaters. I think there is one on this site that goes by the very name. Other than the marathon bucketing between big rapids, what are other cons?

I would also like to hear peoples experience with them and the pro's

Tda

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016   #2

Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1986
I have an 18' Canyon bucket boat (these were made in Flagstaff). It's a great boat.

Pros:
  • Way lighter than a bailer
  • Floats higher, great for low water
  • Very unlikely to flip when full of water

Cons:
  • Oars feel like they are in concrete when the boat is swamped
  • Cleanliness matters because mud, chips, nuts, sticks, etc. are with you for the duration of the trip
  • Bailing sucks
adamread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #3

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Pros:
  • Way lighter than a bailer
  • Floats higher, great for low water
  • Very unlikely to flip when full of water

Cons:
  • Oars feel like they are in concrete when the boat is swamped
  • Cleanliness matters because mud, chips, nuts, sticks, etc. are with you for the duration of the trip
  • Bailing sucks
[/QUOTE]

I've only rowed bucket boats - 18'er in the Canyon and 16' personal. I would add:
Pros:
  • Tracks great and stays in the current easily
  • Rolls small for storage/transport
Cons:
  • see above....
I did two Ladore trips this year- one at 9+k and one at 2-K. The more recent one at 2k wasn't so bad in terms of bailing. It was mainly through the big three and I never had that rowing through wet cement feeling. The June trip is the reason I will buy a SB this year. My wife got sick of the near constant bailing and hearing me grunt as I tried to catch the eddy below the rapids. I really love my old Avon, but it the wife says I need to get a new boat, I guess I'll have to get a new boat .
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #4

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I like running bucket boats in the winter when the water is cold (so I stay dry) and they also run better with motors than self bailers do.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I run a 13' Odyssey Bucket and that boat will not quit. Buckets are good if you know you have to punch a meaty hole as once they are filled with water they will freight train most waves.

Fast Forward to 3:55 to see me truck stick Sock it to me. I had my buddy throw about 10 buckets of water INTO the boat prior to that rapid. The con aspect of buckets comes roaring back as you see me trying to turn a swamped out boat to avoid the Magnetic wall.

Another Bonus for buckets is after the water has been in the raft and hot sun all day you feet get a nice little spa treatment.
Tyrrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #6

Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1986
I've thought about converting my 18' Canyon to a bailer with a drop-stitch floor, but I'm afraid that might ruin it's better qualities. Tracking is great on a bucket boat and they're often faster than other boats because of that. Because the tubes are big, I've had lots of trips, like on the San Juan, where the only water in the boat is from draining the cooler or from water fights.

I'm not too keen on the bilge water "foot spa treatment" though.
adamread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Pros:
-Cheap
-Unflippable (so far )
-Track well
-Pretty small roll for storage/transport
-They do push pretty easily with motors
-Fill it with water and leave it in the sun for a solar hot tub if you dare

Cons
-Bailing
-No cushioning, rocks come up and bang knees, feet, elbows and a single layer of hypalon doesn't provide much protection.
-
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #8

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
PROS:

PS I have paid for these photos and he has taken my money so i have no qualms using his stock photos until my copies are ready. I will replace them this week when I receive them. Credit to montanawhitewaterphoto.com

CONS:

Honestly the best part of my bucket boats was the price and like others said the dry february fishing feet. I primarily use my boats for fishing but we had to test old Large Marge out last week on the Alberton Gorge and had a blast. The last photo shows around 100 gallons of water in the boat. It was a huge pain in the ass but so worth it.
Jamesdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Think some folks run a false floor, with a bilge under it and then have a foot actuated electric pump, which would make a bucket boat more desirable.