Block ice - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2016   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 04
Block ice

I'm sure I wasn't the first to come up with this but I just started using the bags out of empty boxed wine to make my own ice blocks. If you pull the bag out of a "black box" wine or similar you can rinse it out, refill and freeze it, either through the normal spout or the whole valve can be removed. This creates a block that is comparable size to one you would purchase and retains the melt for drinking. Another benefit is that I can form the block(s) in the freezer to create a custom ice block to conform to either the cooler or around containers. Let me know what you think.

J

Jbarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2016   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
They're more fun to pop. But seriously, using plastic bags to form ice blocks seems to work for a lot of people. I tend to prefer more rigid containers, just a little easier to handle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
Sounds clever....can you get the wine taste out of the bag ok, or is it best for lemonade or flavored drink later?

Flag
Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I did 3 Sunny Delight jugs on my last trip and it worked great. I still had a chunk of ice left in one of them 12 days into the trip. THey are a nice rectangle shape and fit well in a cooler. The ones I used up made for a nice cold water treat and made for great day use water containers for the rest of the trip too.

I would think leaving the bags in the box would be a good way to maintain the block shape. I don't drink enough wine to justify that though.

On a long enough trip, I bet you could freeze the wine itself for later in the trip...not sure if that ruins it or not though.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016   #5

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
I did 3 Sunny Delight jugs on my last trip and it worked great. I still had a chunk of ice left in one of them 12 days into the trip. THey are a nice rectangle shape and fit well in a cooler. The ones I used up made for a nice cold water treat and made for great day use water containers for the rest of the trip too.

I would think leaving the bags in the box would be a good way to maintain the block shape. I don't drink enough wine to justify that though.

On a long enough trip, I bet you could freeze the wine itself for later in the trip...not sure if that ruins it or not though.
rectangular SunnyD jugs?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016   #6

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Costco one gallon milk jugs are squarish, a bit taller than others and have more space inside than JUST a gallon. Hey, that's the way they package.

Depending on your cooler they could work.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016   #7

Redmond, Oregon
There is a warning that goes out at this point in a thread about avoiding drinking from a well rinsed milk jug. They harbor protein in the plastic and you could get sick when the science project warms up.

I think if you drink before a day of melting you may be fine.

I have at least a hundred times over the years.
Old 09-26-2016   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
rectangular SunnyD jugs?

They have rounded corners but they have flat sides so they fit well in a cooler. You can put them upright or sideways. The first one I did ballooned up as the ice expanded, so I left a few inches of water out and pushed the sides in before sealing the cap and they came out square.

At my local grocery store they are the biggest one you can buy. Might be different if you shop at Costco or Sam's. The picture says they are a gallon, but they feel bigger then a gallon of milk for some reason.

Also, as BilloutWest said, Milk containers could still be contaminated with milk byproducts but the Sunny D is basically a nicer version of tang so they aren't as prone to "science projects". They do retain a bit of citrus flavor for a use or two, but its actually kind of nice.

I like that they have a nice big handle. I carried one up to Nankoweep that was half full of ice, since I can get a bit overheated, and the handle made it easy to carry.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016   #9

Fort Collins
I make my ice in rectangular gladware. Four blocks fit perfectly on the bottom of my 65 and 70 qt coolers, and 2 fit nicely in my 30ish qt coolers. I use cubes to fill any gaps. Glad has enough sizes to custom fit about anything, the blocks are solid, I.e. no handles, or dead space, and make for a flat surface at the bottom to put food on. I do remove them from the containers, I'm not a melt water saver.

https://www.glad.com/food-storage/co...ge-containers/
Old 09-26-2016   #10

Redmond, Oregon
Visited friends in Juneau.
They lived about 1/2 mile from the Mendenhall Glacier.

The Glacier has receded but little ice bergs float around down by the visitors center.

They take a machete and cut blocks to fit their coolers.

Glacier ice has no air bubbles.

With all the fish and whales up there they have it too good.
Bubble free glacier ice too ??