Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
You know.
Looking at this from the standpoint of dealing with a spouse who believes acquiring river running gear has become an obsessive compulsive disorder.

Perhaps just a white towel from a yard sale draped over the cooler with water from the river dumped on the towel periodically would be adequate.
Sure....that helps too. The discussion was about how to get bubble free ice blocks though. That video show's how its done commercially. You could probably figure out way to replicate it for not very much outlay. Whether its worth it or not is another question.

I did a Deso trip in July this year and used horrible cooler etiquette and still had ice left in the cooler on the way home. I think this stuff comes into play a lot more when going on trips like the Grand Canyon. 4 of our coolers had the "slab of ice" treament on our trip, and they all had a sizeable chunk of ice in the bottom at the end of the 18 day trip. We did good cooler etiquette though and it certainly helps.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
It's all about removing the dissolved gases... RO or distilled water for clear ice.

heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Boil the water before freezing for much clearer ice and allow to sit till cooled off before freezing. It removes a lot of the oxygen.
I freeze all my own block ice and ice cubes, they outlast store bought by days. On long trips I even vaccum seal my ice cubes to get rid of some of the dead air space. Walmart sells ice cube trays that makes cubes about 2x the size of a normal tray, they last longer in a cocktail!
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Clinebelle in Loveland makes a form for ice blocks. I own 2, but sadly couldn't convince the wife to get a B-30. They're really easy to use. It takes a little over 1 day in my chest freezer to be solid enough to remove from the form, and another day to be fully deep frozen. Not perfectly bubble free, but way better than a store bought blocks. I only carve ice for cocktails anyway...

the b-series 11 lb freezer Block – Clinebell Equipment Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25
glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
We use High C jugs same concept though.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475061264800.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	12354  
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #26
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Caution advised.

I noticed on an impulse Costco buy of Lemonade that the plastic jugs it came in were just slightly lighter than I had seen elsewhere.

They work OK for their assigned task but one should be careful experimenting with jugs.

The utility of block ice without air bubbles in a container is appealing.

The larger the container that still fits in the bottom of a cooler the better.

How to achieve this?
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #27
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
My ideal is to have a 3-4 inch block of solid ice that exactly fits my cooler bottom. I used to achieve this by starting with a layer of crushed ice cubes, filling the gaps with cold water and then freezing the whole thing solid by putting some dry ice on top for 24-48 hours. Placing some weight on top keeps the ice from floating.

Now that I own a chest freezer I just make my own custom size ice blocks. I found a plastic container that is exactly 1/2 the foot print of my cooler and use a heavy duty trash compactor bag as a liner. If I boil then cool the water first and build up the block in layers less than 1 inch at a time I get mostly clear ice - no bubbles.

kengore is offline   Reply With Quote