Block ice - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-27-2016   #11

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I was thinking of fillin empty two liter soda bottles with distilled water and freezing them. Is there any way to get buble free ice when you freeze it yourself?

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2016   #12
Di

I sue the 2.5 gal containers from the grocery store. 3 of them laid flat fit perfectly in the bottom of my 120 Igloo cooler and then you have ice water at the end of the trip. I have an standard cooler and have still had ice after 10 days.
Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #13

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
......... Is there any way to get buble free ice when you freeze it yourself?
Yes there is.
Firstly, avoid getting a 6,000 dollar machine for that.

Quote:
Inspired, Piacentini said he “started buying Igloo coolers and filling them with water. It worked like a charm—the water freezes cold and hard until it gets to the bottom. You can then just cut or scrape the cloudy ice off, or if you time it right, you can get the ice out before the cloudy part freezes.”
Let's back up.
Here is a guy who wanted clear ice.
No air bubbles to you and I.

Quote:
until one day, while looking at an ice cube, he had a brainstorm: “I’m looking at it, and I realize it’s cloudy right in the middle because it’s freezing from the outside in, which means that as the water freezes, it pushes the impurities away. I realized if you could get it to freeze in just one direction, you’d get all the bubbles off to one side and could just scrape them off.”
BilloutWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #14

I like ocean spray juice containers. They're mostly rectangular, so not much wasted space.

jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #15

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I've been using 1/2 gallon paper cartons that originally contained almond milk (well rinsed of course). I can fit 4-5 of then along the bottom of my Coleman cooler. The top is a little bit of wasted space, but they are uniform and stack well too. They fall apart after a couple of single day uses, or after one multi-day use. But I like putting block ice in a container as it keeps the cooler dry

So far I've been able to keep ice for up to 6 days with a pre-chilled cooler. Granted, cooler temp I'm sure gets above 40 degrees sooner than that. But certainly no need for a roto-molded cooler for a 4 night trip
Old 09-27-2016   #16

Redmond, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by UriahJones View Post
........But I like putting block ice in a container as it keeps the cooler dry ......
Step away from your keyboard.
No need to go there.
Old 09-27-2016   #17
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I built a plywood box about 1.5 feet cube and make an ice block in it that exactly fills the center section of my 150Q cooler. I built the box so that the bottom and one side are wired with a couple pieces of bailing wire twisted tight. Line the box with a big plastic bag, put it in the chest freezer and freeze it in layers of about 2 inches at a time. When done I snip the wire ties and take the block out of the bag. It takes a few days to make but I get a big solid block that lasts a good week or more.
Old 09-27-2016   #18

Redmond, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
I built a plywood box about 1.5 feet cube and make an ice block in it that exactly fills the center section of my 150Q cooler. .........
1.5 cubic feet equals over 11 gallons of ice.

11 gallons of ice is about 10 gallons of water.

For weight that is about 83 pounds.
Old 09-27-2016   #19

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Just an FYI....

That video shows blocks for people making ice sculptures. I'm sure one could figure out a way to replicate it for our use. I worked in a kitchen that did ice sculpture and had vibrating platforms that they put their forms on in the freezer and it kept air bubbles from forming too.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #20

Redmond, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post

That video shows blocks for people making ice sculptures. I'm sure one could figure out a way to replicate it for our use. ............
You know.
Looking at this from the standpoint of dealing with a spouse who believes acquiring river running gear has become an obsessive compulsive disorder.

Perhaps just a white towel from a yard sale draped over the cooler with water from the river dumped on the towel periodically would be adequate.