Mountain Buzz banner

Bimini and tall folks

11K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  paor 
#1 ·
I have a bimini I bought used and love it. My buddy wants one and I'm debating selling him mine if I can find a taller one. I'm 6'4" tall and have a floor welded into my 14' NRS raft. If I stand up, I have to squat, I can stand up slightly behind it and see over it, would love to have one I can stand under. I called Riversombrero/Riverboat Works in Salida and they said they were all 58" tall.
Are there others that are taller, I'd love one in an 8 foot shade.
I may buy a pipe bender and build one myself, but would love to see if there's one readily available.
Thanks,
Jon

#2 ·
I'm not tall, but since no one else has chimed in I'll offer my limited knowledge. Most power boat biminis are made in a variety of heights, I've seen 36, 47 and 54 most commonly. I have a 54" tall 8 foot long and I have plenty of head room when walking around, but I'm only 5'10". I assume that Sobrero's 58" tall variety would leave me with more head room but there is a point to the effectiveness. The taller they get the less effective they get when not directly under the sun. And for rain, it's even more noticeable. My first bimini was a home made version off of some power boat, it was around 40" tall and was really effective shedding rain. The drawback to shorter is it's harder to take in the scenery - they block more looking up and out of the boat and of course the head room issue.

When I was looking into my new one, I noticed companies making them for pontoon boats - you know the big party barges. They were taller and usually made out of 1" rectangular tubing - heavier duty in general. They were also more expensive but I suspect you could find one to fit your needs. In most cases if they are too tall it is fairly simple to cut them down a little. Oh yeah, another issue with taller biminis, they take more space to lay down - i.e. they reach farther back to where they lay flat. That might also be a consideration. I had to add tracks to allow mine to slide forward when I laid it down so that it sat where I wanted it.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Hi,

I am fairly tall also. When this issue presented itself, I extended the mounting points for the bimini tubes by about six inches vertically, so as to raise the bimini itself by that much. Regrettably, I have no available pictures to provide.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips

#5 ·
Well, it looks like it's time to pull the trigger on a new bimini and sell my shorter one. The one I have is 6' long, fits 67-72 I believe and the longest pipe is 54" long laying down. The ones I have seen are 54" tall from mount to top. Those pipes are ~67" long giving me the added length.
Do guys love their river sombreros, DRE, buy one from a power boat place or someone else that I don't know about.
What's your favorite bimini, probably going 8' and looking to spend as little as possible, but believe in buy once, cry once philosophy. I'm guessing it's going to cost $500

Thanks in advance,
Jon

#6 ·
We have a River 8' Sombrero. I'm 6'1'' and it works for me height wise. On advice from someone, we got the SS tube/SS hardware and it's heavy a crap. If I was to do again, I'd go with the alum. tubes and SS hardware.

Comments about height visa-vie sun and rain are spot on. I got a 13'6'' x 4'6'' sun screen that I can clip to the bimini for sun shade at camp. It can also be used for privacy screen if you want to use the solar shower hung from the bimini on the raft. Not the most comfortable, crammed in the foot well to use the SS, but it works

#7 ·
Maybe talk to Paul's Custom Canvas in Commerce City.

I've had that sort of stuff done there in the past for a power boat and they do a great job and had reasonable prices.

They can make exactly the height and Width / Length that you want and have all the fittings to attach to your boat as well.

#9 ·
I'm 6'4" and this one from Leader has worked great for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L7NROE4/

I got the 8'L × 54''H × 67''-72''W version in light grey and I couldn't be happier, especially considering it's basically the same as all the crap out there for hundreds more. For perspective, I also own a pontoon boat with a very expensive 1.25" square rail 10' bimini. Some pics of the Leader in action on an Aire 156R:

#22 ·
I'm 6'4" and this one from Leader has worked great for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L7NROE4/

I got the 8'L × 54''H × 67''-72''W version in light grey and I couldn't be happier, especially considering it's basically the same as all the crap out there for hundreds more. For perspective, I also own a pontoon boat with a very expensive 1.25" square rail 10' bimini. Some pics of the Leader in action on an Aire 156R:

Just curious if it’s still holding up? Thanks

#14 ·
bcpnick-

are you able to fold the canopy both forward and aft?

i see you have it set up to go forward, just wondering if the geometry of these Bimini's allows them to fold backwards as well?

i'm looking to set one up similar to yours on a 16' boat and am wondering how much space it will occupy when down in the front of the boat...

thanks! you have a sweet set up... sorry for the high-jack!

#16 ·
Cool, thanks... how does it clear that Engel on the port side?

i am trying to decide whether to mount the same Bimini to the side rails, forward of the oar towers, where i wouldn't be able fold it backwards. one advantage would be it would help keep the kiddo's corralled in the front. but i don't want it to take up too much space and looks like it will make entry and exit of the boat a little more cumbersome...

VS.

attaching it to the decking so it could go forward or aft... though i had intended to strap water jugs to the rear decking, which would get in the way of laying flat too.

#17 ·
We fold it forward only when we are underway when the wind picks up or if we're going into a rapid or something. When we're in camp or beaching for some reason, we always fold it to the back, even if we have a gear pile so that it doesn't interfere with getting on and off. And the gear pile gets unloaded anyway.

The Engel drybox is just inside where the railing is so it doesn't interfere. Pic:

#24 ·
I’m looking at getting a bimini for our Lower Salmon trip at the end of the month. I have a 14 foot RMR. What size to people typically run with 14 footer…a 3 bow or 4 bow? I’m also thinking about getting some slide rails for flexibility on the position (mainly to slide it to get around the gear pile in the back if/when it lay it down).

Cheers!

#25 ·
I built a couple of risers for the mounts to be able to stand up underneath the bimini. Bolted to my sideboards now but also lets the bimini be easily mounted on another boat with a couple of straps.
Table Wood Hood Flooring Floor

Mine is a 3 bow, 6' bimini on a 14' cat. Works great for the rower. A 4 bow 8' has more shade to include a passenger.
Boat Water Sky Cloud Vehicle

#26 ·
Is there a reason why people get the three bow instead of the larger four bow? Does the four bow take up that much space when folded compared to a three bow? I’m trying to see why I would get the three bow instead of a four bow, which provides more coverage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.