Old 04-22-2015   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Best way to stay warm

I have another newbie question...what is the best way to stay warm in the spring. Should I look at neoprene jacket/farmer jones type of outfit, or the Kokokat type of paddling jacket? I realize that a dry suit would probably be best but they seem to be very expensive. Thank you.

Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #2
GWS, Colorado
Spam and whiskey will keep you warm

Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #3
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Dry suit is obviously the best, but a close substitute would be full wetsuit with splash/dry top
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

This is always my go to remedy. In fact, it came in quite handy today as I was trying to work on my tan and it started snowing.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #5
Steamboat, Colorado
I'm a big, big fan of my wetsuit from NRS. They don't use neoprene anymore... it's called "Terraprene." Made from limestone. Anyway... super comfy and warm. I've been doing a combo of my wetsuit and a thermal shirt under a splash top from bomber gear... their neoprene cuffs keep the water out of my sleeves.
And yeah, I guess spam and whiskey if you're into that kinda thing...
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #6
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
My old set up is waist waders and a kokatat dry top. Bought the top used on the buzz. Waders were 100$. You get a little dribble down your ass on long swims but stay dry enough to stay warm with fleece. There is a top on the buzz for 100$.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #7
Don't swim.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #8
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Not to ask a stupid question but what type of boating will you be doing? Big diff between splash and submersion. Ive been on trups where aqua socks were colder than bare feet in keens as they stayed wet whereas the feet in the shoes dryed off. My opinion is unless the air temp is hot wear a drytop and good splash pants
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #9
pnw, Washington
Drysuit is king. My friends who have them are dry and warm and never fail to flaunt their superior clothing and point out how warm and dry they are.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #10
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Another vote for Drysuit. Standing on a board in 50+ degree sun gets HOT, but when water temp is 38-42, and I take a swim with minimal layers under (thermal shirt/board shorts/smart wool ultra light tall ski socks) its nice having that protection.

SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote