Old 04-04-2015   #11
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
So I went to wide trucker straps pop riveted into place with washers. It makes them permanent, but they are bomber and have been in use for many a year.
I like that. Have you found that they have stretched at all from wet and weight?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015   #12
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by Whetstone View Post
I like that. Have you found that they have stretched at all from wet and weight?
No...never had a problem with them stretching. I made the holes with an awl. The black ones were from a friend who had them sewn for a take apart frame. I cut them and riveted them back together.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #13
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Suspend a plywood or alum floor off your frame

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #14
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I rigged a similar system to above with a tow strap I bought at harbor freight for like 5 bucks...

But really, you can't beat a drop bag IMO.
but can you see its opposition | comes a-rising up sometimes | that it's dreadful and position | comes blacking in my mind | ....and then I see a darkness
laterwagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #15
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Originally Posted by PDX Duck View Post
This qualifies as a stupid question, but when you say "knotted to exact length," what exactly do you mean? I am just not picturing it in my head.
just a regular overhand knot that makes a loop at both ends of a piece of climbing web like Caverdans pics but with 1" tubular Web. I don't untie it to get it off just unbolt the bars and slip them off the ends
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #16
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
As long as you don't use nylon webbing, you shouldn't get too much stretch. I usually use a drop bag, or my Canyon cooler has a big enough lip to hang from the frame cross bars. This season I'll go back to the drop bag. The trick with the drop bag is to make sure it's big enough so that you cooler sits flat in the bottom of it. I had a smaller drop bag that was a smidgen small for the cooler, and it rotated in the bag too much. Someone suggested a piece of yoga mat in the bottom of the drop bag, and that helps keep it from moving.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Mine sits in a drop bag, and while I'm sure a couple straps would also do the trick, the nice thing about a drop bag, as someone said above, is that you get extra storage in the bag. My cooler leaves enough room in the bag to snuggly slip in a 6 gallon water jug.

Of course with all these suggestions it depends on how everything fits together in your rig. Advice is always helpful, but you'll never really know what is gonna work best for you with out just rigging her up and playing around to see what works best.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app
lambardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #18
Searching for water....., Nevada
I like the NRS cooler brackets. Once setup, they are easy to adjust and keep my cooler from rotating. I can pull them off of the frame for storage and transport. I used just straps before and it worked great but the cooler would rotate sometimes and I didn't like that.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015   #19
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
I've used the NRS cooler straps before as well and liked them, but obviously the drop bag and loop straps are greeting better marks... curious as to why?
dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #20
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Cataraftgirl...why are you going back to a dropbag? I have a Canyon cooler also and like how the lip rests on my frame. However I still run a loop strap underneath for security

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote