Mountain Buzz banner

Best throwbag question

8K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Dave Frank 
#1 ·
I need advise. I want a 75' throw bag with a 3/8'' diameter rope, I also want it to be strapped to to my waist with a quick release. What choices have i got?

I've heard some solutions: - Buy a bag, then buy your rope
-Buy a 75' throw bag and buy a protective bag that is strapped to your waist

Please be specifics, links to the website of compagnies, to shops that sell it, etc.

Thansk for the help

#2 ·
I am sure any sewn good manufacture can rig you up something. DRE, Tuff River Stuff, Stitches and stuff...

I just ordered a 75' throw bag From Wet Dream River Supply here in AZ. I have talked with Jason (owner) and Mike a number of times both on the phone and in person. Both are great guys and they make really bomber gear. The website doesn't list all the options and Jason is open to custom orders.

Wet Dreams Throw Bag, Wet Dreams River Supply

Product Page | Down River Equipment Company

Tuff River Stuff - Superior river and camping equipment and quality rafting equipment

THROW BAGS, ROPE BAGS

#4 ·
The best bag is the bag you know how to throw. (and the one you get to catch)

We stopped to help unpin a bot in Boulder Creek last week, and the crew we were helping went oh for three on tossing and the re-toss.

Of course KSC's first shot hit the target.

Practice , practice, practice.

#5 ·
Hi

I wish for lots of things....then there is reality.

75 feet of rope in that diameter makes for a large bag ...think nrs big throwbag size....that size bag is simply to large and heavy to be comfortable for most folks to carry on their body.

Most waist throw bags use 50 feet of a small diameter line to try and balance bulk, with usability.

Personally I wear the NRS pro waist throwbag with spectra line, and have the large 70 foot NRS pro throwbag also with spectra line in my boat......I use spectra so I can use the lines if needed in a z drag, or pig rig....big bag is rated to 5,000 lbs, and small bag to 2,600 lbs.

I think you will find the ergonomics of trying to carry 75 feet of large diamter rope to be poor.

But, hey if works for you go for it.

scott

Scott

#7 ·
I wear a Salamander Golden Retriever (specs can be found here).

I mostly bought it because it did double duty as a flip line for when I'm rafting (the tow line works well as a flip strap).

Not cheap, but its well made with Cordura, and quality rope. I've never used the tow line to tow a boat, (actually I've never towed any Kayak anyway), but I assume it would work just fine as it has a quick release.

EDIT TO INCLUDE:

I have friends that prefer the NRS versions. It is nice that the NRS ones can "pop out" of the belt in order to be thrown. YMMV.
They don't have the tow attachment.

#8 ·
Consider this one:

H2O Rescue Gear Sharpshooter | H2O Rescue Gear

I had one of the original Mongo designs for a few years and I've used this throw bag for years as well. It's been spot on in rescues and held up great. The main advantage is the throw bag completely separates from your waist belt allowing for a better throw. Also, the quick release on this waist belt works perfectly and holds up compared the the NRS velcro that I've seen loose it's strength over time.

It may be tough to get your ideal 3/8" rope at 75' in a waistbag. That may involve a custom bag being sewn for you.

#10 ·
Salamander has a few different waist worn bag options. Some have tow teathers and others remove from the belt. Most have options for 5/16" 2500 lb MFP Spectra Core throw line LINK>Salamander

I also like the Astral chest worn 50ft bag that fits in the Green Jacket. Always on me on the river.

#11 ·
It seems like folks are identifying two very different uses of a throwbag: swimmer rescue and boat recovery/haul line. The purpose of wearing a throwbag is having something handy for quick deployment when you weren't expecting it. Odds are such a scenario is simply swimmer rescue and doesn't demand a high-tensile strength rope. If you are only going to carry one rope, yeah, make it Spectra. But you're probably better off with a cheap rope in your waist bag that you use for a clothesline and a good haul line that you take better care of in a drybag.

Rope material aside, I'm a big fan of the NRS guardian because it easily detaches from the belt. For the same reason, I don't like the Salamander bag. You end up throwing the whole belt with buckles and if you're aim is right, you drill your subject in the face with hard plastic. It also introduces more crap to snag in the rocks. I also like the mid-range of rope length for swimmer rescue. 75 feet is a lot of rope to deploy, especially when it's large diameter. In rescue classes, most people can't hit their target 50 feet away on dry land and very few can throw a large throwbag more than 40 feet once it's soaking wet.

I agree with the concerns about bulk with wearing such a huge throwbag. I can't imagine it not getting in the way all the time and seems excessive for something you probably aren't really using very often at all. If you find yourself throwing a throwbag more than once for ever 100 hours you spend boating, you may want to rethink your partners and/or destinations.

#12 ·
I carry more than one bag with me or close to me on most trips. I too have a Salamander retriever bag, and I love it. I always boat with. I never really intend to use it as a boat recovery device, but it would work for kayaks and some raft issues. I carry another Whitewater designs big bag with 3/8" line and about 65 ft of rope in that. I really like the bag mouth size, it is easy to repack. I don't re stuff the bag until it is not needed, I've learned to throw coils. This one goes in the raft or IK also. I'd use it to unpin a raft if I couldn't get to my 200 feet of waterline. That rope I take only in my raft on most of my trips. So in my kayak I carry a total of 130' of rope and at minimum 330' in my raft, and I typically have backup bags in the raft as well. The newer retriever bags have a panic ball on the buckle, a good thing if you use it to tow with. I throw my big bag really well, I should probably toss my retriever more in practice.
I don't think 75' of 3/8's around your waist is a realistic/ practical goal. If you need that much rope, keep it in your boat. I love waist bags, and I don't boat without mine, but I recognize it's limitations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.