Old 09-23-2014   #11
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
^^ truth tree! I want this setup! .....and your boat still looks brand new Idaho! and probably will for many years!!!

GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #12
Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by WWnoob View Post
......this is in Idaho (Boise area, winters do get cold)
You haven't been to the midwest or "plains" states have you....

Originally Posted by WWnoob View Post
a) lightly inflated, on my trailer, under a heavy tarp, outside.

b) deflated, rolled up, in its bag, inside, climate controlled.

I'm afforded the option of inside, inflated, on a trailer so I don't have that worry...but if I did, I would make every effort to store it inside, rolled loosely. Build a hanging shelf 8-12' long x 2'+ wide and fold loosely lengthwise on the shelf...?...

Originally Posted by kengore View Post
In my experience the sun does more damage than the rain. UV will quickly degrade even the heavy duty woven poly tarps.

.....over a waterproof layer of one piece, continuous, 6 mil plastic vapor barrier.
What's the purpose of a waterproof layer? We are talking about a water vessel, right?

brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #13
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by brasscap View Post
I'm afforded the option of inside, inflated, on a trailer so I don't have that worry...but if I did, I would make every effort to store it inside, rolled loosely. Build a hanging shelf 8-12' long x 2'+ wide and fold loosely lengthwise on the shelf...?...
I don't have that much inside room, and none that is climate controlled. I worry about keeping a urethane boat folded up for 6 months at a time. There was another thread not too long ago on MB where some folks had success with outside storage.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #14
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
So I was just reminded on another thread that I used to roll both of my old boats; an old PVC Eclipse and a hypalon Hyside following late winter duck hunts. It was always below freezing and at least twice it was well below zero. Each was a bitch to roll but doable, having actively rolled boats at least a dozen times in well below freezing temps I really doubt that storing them while rolled is that bad for them, and it's what nearly all the manufacturers do.

I'm fortunate and I leave mine inflated on the trailer, in a barn and cover it with a cheap boat cover to keep the cat's from pissing in it or the swallows from covering it in shit. Plus I'll likely drag it to the Mo' once or twice this winter, so I just have to throw off the cover, add some air and drop her in the water!

I do love the hanging rig - nice execution.

For brasscap - I don't worry too much about water either, but all boats (save maybe marravias sprayed boats) have exposed denier at seams. Having that thread saturated cannot be good for it...not likely to be catastrophic but keeping it dry has to be better than allowing it to sit wet.

When I stored my raft outside I used a porous cover to shield it from the sun but it wouldn't hold water and thus wouldn't ice up and get supper heavy collapsing onto the boat. I wanted snow to melt and run through so that the cover sat high and I didn't have to worry about ice buildup. I tilted the trailer so the water ran out the drain holes. It isn't rocket science - keep the sun off, minimize water while not having to go out and unload it after every snow storm...

I still store two other metal boats outside and use the same method, have for decades. Let the water drain through and run out the back. They're always dry inside and the sun isn't beating the shit out of things.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #15
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
trailer storage too

Something else to keep in mind for those that plan to store their boats on trailer whether indoor or outdoor - in my experience trailer tires are notorious for warping if left in one spot for multiple months. This can lead to shorter tire life span and higher potential for on road blowouts.

Once all the rafting gear is winterized and stored on boat, I usually jack up the trailer just enough for the wheels to spin. I picked up some cheapo harbor freight jack stands that have worked for multiple years. I also use one of those jack stands under both front and rear so it's a stable platform if I need to climb on for any reason.
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #16
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I see a lot of people use these on RVs and boat trailers. A piece of scrap plywood works fine too to keep the sun and snow off the tire. Some people remove boat and utilty trailer tires altogether and store indoors, but this is in the mid mountain elevations where the trailer tire could have four feet of snow piled alongside contacting the tire by Feburary.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #17
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
Given that you live in an area that has two of the leading raft manufacturing sites why not just give them a call to see what they recommend for their product. Inside and inflated is probably the best but short of that why rely on opinions- get the manufacturers recommendation and you'll never have to concern yourself with warranty issues.

mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote