Mountain Buzz banner

Best soft sided day/beverage cooler?

26K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  JPG87 
#1 ·
Im looking to possibly upgrade my day/beverage cooler on my raft. My brother has one of those soft sided coolers that holds ice forever. What is the best cooler on the market for day/beverage cooler for a raft? Thanks guys.

#4 ·
I love the soft sided coolers for paddle raft missions. I used to use a California Designs, but it was not very durable. I now use the NRS Saddle Bag Cooler and a Frost Pak 12Qt.

The Saddle Bag is durable and holds ice well. Straps around a thwart easily. You do have to remove the Velcro liner and bottom tray after use to let it dry out. Mine has been used and abused and is still in good condition.

The Frost Pak is the BEST soft cooler out. I picked up mine at a "used" sporting goods store, but it still holds ice all day with NO LEAKS. You can use it in a vehicle or bring it in the house and will not have a puddle. Mine also fits in the basket attached to the rack on my 64 Schwinn townie. I strap it to a thwart using 2 4ft straps. I'm tempted to get the 25Qt or 40Qt as well.

I made a chain link fence Top Rail Cooler frame for the boat as well. This makes it really easy to take a full size cooler on a paddle run for day or overnight. We added an umbrella mount (for a Sport Brella) by using some black pipe with 1/2 emt sleeved over the top and a U bolt.

#8 ·
I have used a NRS Saddle Bag Cooler for 4 seasons. It worked great for the first 3. I noticed this year its not holding ice very well now. Started looking around and found this Aire cooler the other day on Cascades website.. Kinda spendy but... Cascade also has the Kelty coolers which look nice as well. I like that those come in different sizes.

Cascade Outfitters Whitewater Rafting Equipment: 36 Qt Cooler by Aire

#12 ·
I apologize for bump this old thread, but I would like to share my experience in this matter, since when I was looking for good advice on this topic for myself
I have one in the 24 pack size by Polar Bear https://coolerexp.com/best-beverage-cooler-review/ I have only had it a little while and bought for a trip to Gulf Shores to carry back and forth to the beach. Ice retention is as advertised, even out in the sun we would still have ice left over the next day (I rarely put the full 10lbs in). 24 hours is the max though, especially this time of year. Loaded down with ice and 24 cold ones it is HEAVY, as to be expected. The shoulder strap for this size cooler could use some padding. Durability: no loose stitching, easy to clean, no leaks (except the zipper if you tump it over. Customer service with them is also very good. I was emailed to be notified the color I wanted was out of stock and was offered a refund. Of course I didn't take it as I wanted the cooler. I was updated every step of the way to when I would get it, so I have no doubt they will also stand behind it.
Text Line Font Parallel Diagram

#14 ·
So...I'll chime in on the Yeti Hopper 40. I've beaten the piss out of mine, it holds ice for days (just got off of a desert river trip 4 days and it still had two 1gallon water jugs with big blocks of ice left in them.

It's been dragged, rolled, overloaded, flipped, and the zipper and all other parts are still fully functional.

Now for the reality check - yes, they're expensive. If you are on your a-game you may be able to find last year's model as a close out. When they changed the design of the Hopper to a side zip (from a top zip) I picked one up for about $150. Again - not cheap but I think it will out last me.

Oh - one last thing. I really like the reverse tape of the bag. It allows it to sit right up again my tube in my captain's compartment, unlike a symmetrical bag.

#15 ·
I've got a soft cooler that is 17+ years
I got it at Bristol Motor Speedway back in the early 90's. I've replaced the zipper once, and the pull twice. It holds a 12 pack of bar bottles side by side, and plenty of ice, or more bottles and less ice. Nice carry handles with the velcro wrap, and beefy d-rings for a shoulder strap. There is one outside zip pocket roughly 6"x6" on one side. It traveled with me on the Nascar circuit for nearly 10 years, did 2 years of Truck Series travel, attended countless beach, boat, camping, and local excursions, and now is my go-to kayak cooler. Also doubles as a laptop case when dry or a pillow. The label is a little worn, but I can make out part of the model name: _ _ Mate Kool Tote https://coolerexp.com/best-beverage-cooler-review/
Not sure if they are still around, but here's the company that made it.
Easy Seat, Inc. Kingsport, TN 37660
615-288-2881
We've bought and tossed several other soft coolers during the time I've owned this one. It is without a doubt, the greatest soft cooler/tote ever made. Keeps beer cold all day, leave it overnight closed, come back the next morning for hair of the dog...and there's still ice in it.

#20 ·
Just to clarify, the reason I like the Yeti hopper so much (especially the top zip older style) is for a variety of reasons:

* The reverse taper fits well below the side tube but has a lower profile to at the top
* Easy access with a single horizontal zipper
* Is waterproof and in a pinch can be used as a dry bag
* Fits perfectly from fore to aft in my captains bay and has lashing loops right where my cross bars are

The only down side I know of it the cost and the fact that in their current model they moved the zip to the side.

Image here.

#21 ·
Walmart's new Ozark Trail soft coolers look nice.

I have one of the first generation ones (Yeti hopper knockoff) but the zipper is sewn in, not welded, and it leaks water into the body of the cooler. Mine works great, but has a musty odor

The 2nd gen ones on the shelves now have sealed drysuit-like zippers. I'm tempted to try one, but my current one is still working.

Off the river, it's just large enough to hold 4 growlers--I use some cardboard or newspaper between the bottles so it isn't glass on glass.

#22 ·
I have the Yeti Hopper 30 2. The new one with the side zip. I like the new side zip because I can fit it under frame bars or the back seat of my pickup and still reach the zipper. It's a personal preference thing-both are good coolers. Yeah, stupid expensive but not when you have a couple Christmas gift cards burning a hole in your pocket. I have had Seattle Sports Coolers and AOs. Prefer the Yeti. I've also been on trips where others have had other brands mentioned in this thread and I like the Yeti better. But, I don't know if I had to pay full retail out of my pocket if I'd buy one.

#25 ·
Yep - a lot depends on how you rig and what you prefer. Here are my reasons for liking the top zip:

* loading - just push stuff through. The size zip has a tendency to close up.
* Nice place to put stuff as it creates another shelf like flat area
* Easy access to someone from all 4 sides
* One can visually see from afar if it's closed/sealed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.