Old 06-04-2016   #1
Denver, Colorado
Best shade for desert

Looking for the best shade anyone has found for desert trips. Looking for easy set up, but durability is key. What can handle the wind or be taken down and set up quickly if it needs to be.
Looking at a Coleman Point Loma style, please share thoughts you have, Thank you in advance,

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016   #2
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I would be wary of the name Coleman honestly being a river guide in the desert. The first review I looked up on Amazon told of it failing on a beach in a wind storm.

The storms in the desert can get pretty intense and I personally just don't trust Coleman as a brand that is cut out for those types of storms. The outfit I run for uses Kelty Wings, and even those I'm wary of. The bombproof shelter you want is going to cost a bit more, but buy nice or buy twice. Look at the MSR wings those are my favorite.

cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016   #3
Denver, Colorado
Yeah, I'm leery for sure, I've got an old Moss Heptawing, but that isn't big enough for the crew of 11 we've got, may take a few, I'm worried about wind and stability for sure.
I think the MSR wings are the old Moss ones, will check them out.
You using oars for stands?
Old 06-04-2016   #4
cedar city, Utah
My MSR Wing does great in the wind and rain. The color is not the best for shade but it gets the UV and sun directly off me. Tends to allow some light through then trap heat though. Works well near a beach though.

Knots and good stakes are as critical as the tarp when it comes to weather. I can't recommend Tough Stakes enough. I have yet to have any pull out of the ground in the fiercest of winds which is a first in 15 years of exploring the desert. No other stakes seems to hold up.

We use both poles and oars. Oars are nice for the primary openings while I like the adjustable height of poles on the side.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016   #5
Denver, Colorado
I've used Kifaru SST (snow, sand, and tundra) pins.
They are bomber in snow, sand and tundra. I like the tough stake, looks tough, but darn expensive!
Thanks and keep ideas coming please,
Old 06-04-2016   #6
NE, Oregon
I use NRS'
Added 30' loop straps, cam buckle left on the tarp. The straps are simple to setup and teardown. Color code the main ridge buckles so they are easy to find. You can pull the tarp really tight with the cam buckles, a well pitched tarp will only have a little vibration in high winds. Straps and tarp travel in a dedicated dry bag
Noah's tarps are great value, but due to the shape nearly impossible to get everything taut. A flapping tarp is the beginning of bigger problems, not to mention annoying.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016   #7
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I used to use a Noah's Tarp, but as Willie 1.5 said it's impossible to get taut because of the cat cut shape. It's a sturdy tarp at a great price, but the loose edges drove me crazy. Now I use Wilderness Logics Big Otter tarp. 12 X 15, sturdy, and lightweight. Works well for smaller groups (6-8 people).
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016   #8
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
These are hands down the best. Very durable and the easiest to set up.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016   #9
Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted by Sembob View Post
These are hands down the best. Very durable and the easiest to set up.
DragonFly Tarps | Enjoy the outdoors no matter the weather

At $550, they better be the best! Too rich for my blood, but I may try and bartack some rings and cam buckles on a tarp I have and see how that works, great idea indeed!
Old 06-05-2016   #10
page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
get a good hat and a nice shirt, everything gets wrecked in the wind. that said i have a 16x16 kelty you cant beat $75

azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote