Best shade for desert - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2016   #31

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
So the Rock Busters hold pretty well on the sand beaches? I was considering ordering some of those SST Pins from Kifaru, but at around a buck a piece compared to $5 to $7 for the Kifaru stakes I'd much rather just add to my existing collection of Rock Busters if they'll do the job.
We've been using them on the Main Salmon with decent results. Sometimes we'll pound them in and supplement with a big rock. Not as bullet proof as the pricey stakes but they do a pretty good job.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016   #32

north little rock, Arkansas
Okay, thanks. BTW, I didn't mention it earlier but I've been playing around with my 10 x 16 siltarp from Cooke Custom Sewing. Dan makes his gear with BWCA/Quetico type trips in mind and that's what I originally bought it for, but I've found it works great in a ridgeline configuration between two oars. I ran 2' cam straps through tie out loops, snugged them down around the handles and pitched it longways then simply guyed out the sides. I'm 6' and was able to walk upright from one end to the other. The disadvantage is no view from the sides. That could of course be fixed with poles or more oars. I'm anxious to see how it holds up to western winds on next month's San Juan trip. I think it will be fine, but I do expect at some point to add a wing shelter to the arsenal. My only complaint with silnylon is its tendency to mist in hard continuous rain. I know that can be solved with a judicious application of silicone thinned with mineral spirits but haven't gotten around to that yet. Add it to the list.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #33

Sandy, Utah
Here's a pic of both tarps in action on a beach camp, Main Salmon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5044.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	826.9 KB
ID:	11704  
Old 06-08-2016   #34

north little rock, Arkansas
Very nice! You've got me jonesing bad. Are those the Wildnerness Logic tarps?
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #35

Sandy, Utah
Yes, they are both WL tarps. The big one is the 12x15 Wild River and the smaller one is a 12 X 9.5 Big Daddy. I use the Big Daddy for hammock camping as well.

When I decided to ditch the 12X12 Kelty Noah, I contacted Marty at WL and talked with him about dimensions & design. I already had the Big Daddy and knew he did good work. He made the Wild River Big Otter tarp for me. My rafting group used to bring a larger/heavier MSR tarp, but we haven't used that one since I got the WL tarps.

I know about the Silnylon misting thing and have experienced it a little bit when hammock camping with the smaller tarp. I haven't noticed it when rafting with the larger tarp. I think, since we have if rigged higher and more open, it isn't an issue. Silnylon, like all nylon products will stretch a bit when wet. We rig with paracord/tautline knots, so adjustment is easy when it rains a lot. ripstopbytheroll.com now carries Silpoly that should help with the stretch when wet factor of the silnylon.

When we did use the MSR, we liked those corner pockets to stick the lines in. Nice feature. So far the WL tarps have held up just fine in wind & thunderstorms.
Old 06-08-2016   #36

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Cool topic

I had the same question as the OP. I used to have an REI brand shade shelter. It was made of off-white ripstop nylon. Sitting under it was only slightly better than being in the full sun. This has really made me wary of laying down good money on a useless shade tarp.

Infra Red light is the main source of heat we feel from the sun. UV causes damage to skin, fabrics, etc. For a sun shade to work, it should block almost 100% UV and as much IR as possible. Usually, the darker and thicker the fabric, the more IR it blocks. The dark fabric heats up and then radiates heat into the air. Shade mesh breathes, nylon will trap the hot air underneath. The higher you can pitch the tarp the less radiant heat you'll feel. The best shade tarp is probably going to be a 95% black shade mesh. Obviously it's going to suck for rain.

If you want dual shade/rain use. Thicker fabric and darker color are probably best. It is a shame that no one sells a tarp with a silver reflective side. Armed with this knowledge, the two that I'm interested in are the Big Duck and the DragonFly. The others are to small or to light in color. I would love to hear any user comments from owners of either of those tarps. I know that dragonflys come standard in charcoal and blue. I don't know which will block more IR/ heat. Ducks come in tan or blue. I'm betting the blue feels cooler.
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #37

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Andy I couldn't recommend the Dragonfly more. The blue is awesome. It is well worth the cost. And it comes with good quality metal sand stakes. Most those other flies people on here are touting are way overpriced. Not so with the Dragonfly.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #38

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sembob View Post
Andy I couldn't recommend the Dragonfly more. The blue is awesome. It is well worth the cost. And it comes with good quality metal sand stakes. Most those other flies people on here are touting are way overpriced. Not so with the Dragonfly.

Jim
Jim,
Do you have any idea which color gives more shade, blue or charcoal?

Also, how good is the shade under the blue tarp you have?

Have you ever been able to do a side by side comparison against another shade during a trip or something?

(Example: I have a dairy client that switched some of his shade mesh to 90% from 80%. The cows all voted with their feet. They all crowded under the 90 shade. The 80 was empty.)
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #39

Arco, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Having had both colors, I felt that they were about the same coolness from the shade and UV protection. I thought that the charcoal color got a bit dark underneath at times, so I tend to lean toward the royal. The biggest difference can be felt between the light gray (as well as other light colors) to the royal blue. The light colors are definitely hotter. The thin silicon nylon fabrics are also hotter, they just seem to let more UV through.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Atomicrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #40

Arco, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I need to try building a shade mesh version, I'm intrigued. It would definitely allow more air flow. I've been thinking something like that would be awesome off of the back of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Atomicrider is offline   Reply With Quote