Best shade for desert - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-05-2016   #11

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The Dragonfly tarp looks pretty cool, but too pricey & heavy for me. I'll stick with my Wilderness Logics tarp......12X15, $275, weighs 2 lb.and packs small. It's held up without any issues in wind & rain for the past 4 years. Made in North Carolina.

http://wildernesslogics.com/WILD-RIV...-BIG-OTTER.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2016   #12

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
The Dragonfly tarp is well priced. Twice the cost of of the Wilderness one CataraftGirl uses but more than twice the size. That size is awesome. I lend out a lot of gear every season and that is the most valued piece. Hands down the best out there. And they are made by a fellow Buzzard. And if you contact them about a smaller one I. Sure the price would be right where you all want it to be. I strongly recommend the larger one though.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016   #13

Sandy, Utah
I use my tarps for kayak touring trips, so the weight & packability are important for me. The tarps have to fit in tight spots inside my sea kayak. Most all of my raft trips are 10 people or less, so the 12X15 size works well. I also have a 12X9.5 WL Big Daddy tarp that sometimes does duty over the kitchen, while the bigger tarp is used for the group hang out.

I like the rings for oars on the Dragonfly. That's a great feature. What color is your tarp Sembob? When I had the Kelty Noah in light grey, we could feel the heat coming through even though it did provide shade. When I got the WL tarp I went with dark green. Much better. My group says they can feel a difference in coolness & shade with the darker color. My smaller tarp is a medium brown color.

Good to see we have both found a "cottage industry" person to make our gear. Nothing better than dealing with a person who understands what you need and goes the extra mile to make quality gear for you.
Old 06-05-2016   #14

Sandy, Utah
Someone asked about oars & tarp poles. We use oars on the main/long ends, and Kelty tarps poles on the sides. The Kelty poles rock....collapsible for packing and expandable to get the right height on the tarp. They are aluminum, so they aren't super heavy and they hold up well to being wet.
Old 06-05-2016   #15

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I bought a kelty noah about 5 years ago for $50 and have loved it. It has survived very serious storms. The problem is learning to set them up properly. I set them up just like the dragonfly. The kite format with 2 corners to oars or trees makes it a breeze. I use cam straps to make them adjustable and easy to make very taught.

I would likely stay away from coleman if you want something that will last.
Old 06-05-2016   #16

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1465137640.740570.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	11675
This is mine. You can choose your colors. I was looking for the colors of the Montana state flag. The blue does an awesome job of making cool shade. No heat radiation.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016   #17

Arco, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
+1 on the blue color. The blue color does the best for the sun as far as cutting the radiant heat underneath. A couple of years ago, I set up a blue tarp next to a light gray tarp down on the Salmon on a 100* day and the blue tarp was significantly cooler in the hot sun.
Atomicrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #18

Denver, Colorado
Narrowed it down to two choices, please share thoughts or opinions on either or both:
MSR Rendezvous Wing 200
MSR® Rendezvous™ 120 Wing and 200 Wing Group Shelters | MSR Gear

Or the NRS River Wing
NRS River Wing at nrs.com

The NRS is 190 sq ft (10 sq ft smaller), Has webbing to hook oar shafts to and comes with two 10 foot poles. Color is listed as blue.

The MSR is 200 sq ft, has pockets for stowing the cords in on the corners that the MSR guy said would be fine to use as pole pockets. Comes with two 7.5 ft poles that could be used on corners and oars at the ends. Was told the color is seafoam blue.
Thanks for any advice as we spend a chunk of change on a few strings and a sheet of material
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #19

cedar city, Utah
MSR: More technical, cantenary cut which I find to be easier to make taut in the wind. Its also made from a higher denier, 68D, and polyester, which sags less than nylon in the rain.

NRS: More traditional cut which other people prefer. Darker blue is definitely better for shade. Nylon (40D) sags in the rain, but also weighs less.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #20

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I'm not necessarily bitching about it, but does anyone know what makes these so expensive? I've set several different ones up, and it always just seems like its just a large piece of fabric cut to shape.

I realize the shape took some thought and getting it right each time might add to the price, but at the end of the day that is just what it is....a large piece of fabric with some tent poles. I mean, you can get a tent with poles and other stuff that uses the same amount of fabric and it costs a lot less.

The only thing I can come up with that makes sense is that it is one big piece, and not multiple pieces sewn together and it requiring a specialized machine to get that kind of width or something.

I do like them (and I wish they were cheaper). We had one of each of the Kelty Noah, NRS Wing and a Big Agnes Deep Creek (large) on a Yampa trip last month, and my favorite by far was the Big Agnes. Was well designed, provided shade and was relatively easy to set up. They also make clip in drop down bug net for it too, which seems like a great option for runs like Deso that have heavy bugs. Oh, and the price is decent at $229 MSRP for the large one (plus $169 for the bug net part).

I'll be honest...the Big Agnes was typically where everyone hung out, we used the NRS Wing for over the kitchen, and that left the Noah for overflow. Despite someone setting up a cot in the middle of the Big Agnes, everyone seem to gravitate towards that rather then Kelty one. The design certainly isn't as great and its harder have a group sit under unless its set up much higher at the peak.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote